Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Information Missing

Tuned Listener

Contact Information Missing

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I have a user with ACT 2012 SP1 (version 14.1.108.0) that was running a local version of our company's ACT database.  Just recently, some 100 contacts that this user had added since our install and upgrade two months ago disappered while he was in the process of sorting the contact data into groups.  The groups are still present locally and on the main database, but the contacts themselves are missing, both on the Groups page and the Contacts page.  Unable to repair the local database (all options under the Database Maintenance menu are greyed out).  Ran the ACT Diagnostics tool and it reports no errors.  User is somewhat familiar with ACT as our company ran ACT 2006 previously.  Short of the user having accidentally deleted the contacts somehow, could the data be recovered?  We sync with Outlook and Microsoft Exchange server (user in question has Outlook 2010 but others have 2003 or 2007 - all connect to Exchange 2003).  I will check if Outlook still has the contacts at the first opportunity.

Additional information:  Synchonization of the local database to the main database stored on the network also unsuccessful, saying remote database unpacked and synchronized once.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Information Missing

Do you sync from Outlook or Exchange to anything else (Google, smart phones or tablets)?

Are you logged in as an admin?
Tuned Listener

Hello Mike,

To answer your first question, our ACT users sync between Outlook and their smartphones (BlackBerry in this user's case, but some are Android).  As to your second question, the affected user is not logged in as an admin (myself and one other user have admin privileges).

Hope this info helps.

Thanks,

Michael

I've seen this happen when syncing to Outlook, then something else ... I think there is a warning about this during the install, but no one reads it. It's worse with Androids.

For reliability, I'd recommend sync'ing to the phones with Handheld Contact - supports BB and iOS now with Android in beta

For Database Maint, you need to be logged in as Admin
Tuned Listener

Hello again,

Unfortunately I found that the user who lost his data cannot find his backup records.  Since the database resides on a company server and is backed up on a regular basis using Norton Backup Exec, I am thinking about using Backup Exec to restore an earlier copy of the database.  However, I am concerned about losing any data added subseqent to when the database was backed up.  Could I restore the backed up database to a separate location, then link ACT on my computer to that database and copy the missing records from the database retrieved through the backup to the active database?

Thanks again,

Michael

that might be possible ... but if using Backup Exec without the sa password, you might find the backs don't properly backup the database.

The correct way is to use the ACT! Scheduler to backup the database, then use the corporate backup to backup the ZIP file it creates
Tuned Listener

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll check with my superiors on accessing the backup through the sa login.

The sa login for ACT! is only available for Premium ... That's why the Scheduler method is recommended.

Another option is to stop the ACT7 service before backup and start it after