Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Field only prints first and last entry

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Contact Field only prints first and last entry

I'm using act 2010. 

When I print labels, the only thing that  prints from the "contact" field is the first and last entry.

For example, the contact field contains Joe & Mary  Smith.  My label prints as Joe Smith.

I would like for my labels to print everything in the contact field.  How do I set up to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NM Rancher
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Contact Field only prints first and last entry

This post is for Roy and VB.

I think I have it figured out and corrected my problem.

My problem was that in the first field of the label I wanted to print, I had the word Contact.

I replaced this entry with [C:Contact]   which I selected from "Field"  in the left side bar menu.  Now my labels print the everything within the Contact field.

I hope the helps you VB.

I consider my problem solved, and I thank everyone for their help and comments.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

You can edit the template. But be sure to do a "save As" under a new name first. So if the results aren't as you had hoped, you can go back.

In ACT, File, Print, Labels, find your label and then choose Edit Template at the bottom left.  You would then remove the top box that says custom and replace it by adding a field from the left and choosing the contact field.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your answer Jon, but it didn't quite help.

When I am in lables, my top field says "contact".  My contact field in ACT contains the entire contact name, for example "Joe and Mary Smith".  But when the lable prints, only the words "Joe Smith" actually print.  Only what ACT 10 considers the firtst and last name prints.  If I have four words in the "contact" field, only the first and last word will print.

I am now using ACT 10.  Previously I used ACT 6.  In ACT 6, everything in the "contact" field printed.  This is what I would like to have done in ACT 10. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Edit the label template.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Hi Roy,

I have edited the label.  I want to print the entire contents of my "Contact" field as the first line on my label.  And when I edit the label,  I put the word "contact" in the first line of the label.

But when the label prints, only the first and last word of "contact' prints.  For example, if  the actual content of "contact" is "Joe, Mary, and Billy Smith", then only "Joe Smith" prints on the label.

What next?  Any suggestion would be appreciated.  thanks

vb
Copper Contributor

A workaround without changing the template.  Use "Joe and Mary Smith" in Contact, but choose "Joe and Mary" as the first name in the pop-up dialog box and "Smith" as the last name.  This will achieve what you want, although I found that my needs have expanded where I now have to look for other alternatives.

Copper Contributor

Thanks vb,

What you suggested works fine.  The only problem is that I have to go thru an awful lot of entries to correct my entire data base.  But if there is no other solution, I will do this.  I am disappointed that ACT has not found a solution to the situation.  In my previous version of ACT 6, this situation did not exist.  The entire "contact" field printed.

If you find an alternative to your problem, I would be glad to hear from you.  Maybe your solution could help me.

Thanks again.

Platinum Elite Contributor

You need to replace the custom field with the contact field.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author NM Rancher
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

This post is for Roy and VB.

I think I have it figured out and corrected my problem.

My problem was that in the first field of the label I wanted to print, I had the word Contact.

I replaced this entry with [C:Contact]   which I selected from "Field"  in the left side bar menu.  Now my labels print the everything within the Contact field.

I hope the helps you VB.

I consider my problem solved, and I thank everyone for their help and comments.