Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Documents on a Network Drive

Copper Elite Contributor

Contact Documents on a Network Drive

Here is our situation:

We are using Act Pro 2012 (on Windows 7).

We want to store contact "Documents" on a Network drive (to be shared by three different users).

All users have an identical drive mapping for that network drive.

One user has a publisher database and the other two are subscribers (in a sync relationship).

Can we do that?

We have tried using "linked" documents, but the links won't sync. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Documents on a Network Drive

[ Edited ]

Hello Mark,
You would have to use shortcuts instead of actual attachments, and each machine (publisher and remotes) would need to map the same drive letter to the shared location, in order for the filepath to be valid when it syncs over. In addition, the shared location would have to on a machine other than the publisher or the remotes, since you have to map the drive.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks, Greig.

I have set up exactly what you outline, without success.  I am going to revisit this though to make sure of that.

What had happened is this.  After a sync, I would see the Document record (the link/shortcut), but the workstation would not open it. It would claim that the Document must have been deleted.

Mark Rogers

I can see that happening if the filepath is not valid or the machine does not have full access to the shared directory. The path will sync exactly as it is from the machine where it was created, so the mapping has to be identical on each machine. I tested this out and it worked for me - made sure the shared directory had Full Control permission granted (shared and security settings) for all users.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Greig,

Do you know of any specific characters or group of characters that Act! doesn't like in the filepath or filename?  I know that commas have been used in our filenames and filepaths, as well as dashes.

Mark Rogers

[ Edited ]

None that have been reported, but the file path is a Windows path. Are you seeing this issue only with files that have non-alphanumeric characters?

Greig Hollister

Copper Elite Contributor

Thanks.  I haven't tested that, but will.  All of the files in question would have those two characters (all other characters are alphanumeric). 

Mark Rogers
Copper Elite Contributor

I think I know a little more about what is happening, so I'll try to describe my situation here.

We have 3 machines - 2 Windows 7 and 1 XP.

We have 1 networked drive shared by the three via a drive mapping (SSmiley Happy.

If I attach a file (Document) in Act! on the XP machine (from the mapped drive), the Windows 7 machines will not understand the shortcut.

If I attach a file (Document) in Act! on either of the Windows 7 machines (from the mapped drive), the Windows XP machine will not understand the shortcut but the other Windows 7 machine will.

The shortcuts created by this process and which live in the Attachment folder actually point to the network location rather than the drive mapping.  For example, a file shortcut might point to \\192.168.1.75\myshare\notes\xxx.docx" rather than the desired "S:\notes\xxx.docx".

If I modify the link to point to my desired location on the S drive, the document is accessible from Act.

Not sure what I can do to resolve this and would appreciate any advice anyone may have.

Mark Rogers