Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Detailed View - Email history shows as attachment, others as text and readable

Tuned Listener

Contact Detailed View - Email history shows as attachment, others as text and readable

Hi,

This is something I dont quite understand but when I view the hisroty of a contact some emails I can see just by clicking on the event and the actual text of the email is displayed in the window next to the history windows, other emails I cannot see and have to double click to open the Edit History form, then double click the Attachment "temp1CC0.msg".

Any reason why this is or is it something I am doing (or not doing). 

Hope this makes sense (and sorry for all the questions, I am listing them each in their own thread if that is ok!).

Thank you

www.PCease.co.uk - Affordable IT Support, PC/Laptop Repairs
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Detailed View - Email history shows as attachment, others as text and readable

It depends on the option you chose to create the history. In the Email Setup Wizard in ACT! (Tools/Preferences/Email/Email System Setup), if you chose "Email subject and message" then it would display the date, time, subject and body text in history, but would not include any attachments that were in that message. If you choose "Email subject, message and all attachments", the the email would be a an attachment in history. Clicking on the attachment (paperclip) will open the message itself...double-clicking the history item (not the paperclip) will open the history item (Edit History dialog box) and then you would have to click the attachment in there to open the actual message.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Contact Detailed View - Email history shows as attachment, others as text and readable

And for further clarification - every user in the system can set this up differently.

Also, you can change your preference at any time.

And, even on the fly, when sending a message, you can switch from your current default to another history creation type...

Is there any ay to be able to preview the email sent (including attachment) without having to double click the history. Its a real pain to have to open every email that has an attachment to be able to follow the thread of emails

Thanks

Tony

[ Edited ]

Not if you are recording with attachments. That setting packages the entire email into a file that attaches to the history item and puts a copy in the ACT! database files Attachments folder. To view all the email text (in the preview pane for the history tab), you would need to change your history recording option to "Email subject and message" - this will not include the email attachments.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

i have tried changing the settings to "Email subject and message" but when I do this the attachments are not recorded so I have to go to Outlook to see what was sent as an attachment.

i am changing this setting via the tools/preferences/email system setup wizard. Is there another way to do this so that it does show the all the email text in the preview pane for the history tab while still registering the attachments

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, there is not. You would have to save the attachment from the email, then manually attach it to the email history.

Greig Hollister