Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Consolidating address fields

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Consolidating address fields

I need to import an excel database that has 2600 names and addresses in it.  The address, city, state and zipcode for each person are all in one cell/one column. The ACT contact layout wants them in separate cells/columns. How do I change the ACT Contact layout to accept the full address so I don't have to reformat each contact address in the original excel worksheet? It which would take hours.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Consolidating address fields

The first thing is that you really need to split the single address field into separate fields for the best use in the ACT! program. If you don't, you won't be able to use most of the standard word processing or report templates in the ACT! program. Second, Excel has very good tools for splitting cells as you need to do. It works on delimiting characters you specify. Once split you would need to go through the list and correct any errors. I've done this in the past and I estimate you could complete the entire list in one to two hours.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by dlunceford (Moderator)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The first thing is that you really need to split the single address field into separate fields for the best use in the ACT! program. If you don't, you won't be able to use most of the standard word processing or report templates in the ACT! program. Second, Excel has very good tools for splitting cells as you need to do. It works on delimiting characters you specify. Once split you would need to go through the list and correct any errors. I've done this in the past and I estimate you could complete the entire list in one to two hours.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the response, Roy. The only thing I know of in Excel to do this is the "Text to Column" function which creates columns for each word or number. That works as long as the name of the city is one word. If it's two words, it creates a column for each word. Is there a better way that you know of?
Thanks

That will work. Obviously it's not perfect but once separated, I do some careful column sorts and then contaminate blocks of fields or copy blocks of fields until everything is in the correct column then save the results to a tab delimited text file and you are ready to import into ACT!. It does take some effort but it beats doing them one at a time. The column sorts to group the problems is the real secret of the process.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks Roy. I appreciate your help.