Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Consensus on Email with Attachments

Consensus on Email with Attachments

Ok, let me give this another try.  I'd like to determine if there's a consensus on attachments to email-merges.  We have a database that has exploded in supplementary data in the last 8 mos from 209 Meg backup/zipped to 6.1 Gig and have experienced problems syncing with supplementary data.  We only have 2200 contacts but the procedure for mailing contacts an email usually involves attaching some marketing material to the email message itself and it looks like this gets stored redundantly for every contact and may be responsible for the amazing growth.

Is there another way with respect to email merges or do we simply have to live without quick access to this marketing material when we pull up the history for a contact and review what has been sent to them?

Jim Burns

Technology Dynamics

Pearland, TX

Act! 10.0.3.182, hf 1, standard

Jim Burns
Technology Dynamics
Pearland, TX

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Consensus on Email with Attachments

ACT! 2008 had issues when the attachments folder exceeded 4GB... 2009 handles it better (although still not perfect). Sync and backup don't fail, but storing thousands of files in a single folder is still an issue.

With a merge, it really shouldn't be necessary to keep the attachments... maybe just use Email Subject only?

Maybe, as a feature request for a future version, you might suggest an additional option - save the template and attachments only (template, not merged email), linked to all contacts

You can post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here - http://www.act.com/community/feature

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on.

Thank you for the feedback.  Let me confirm and make sure I'm correct in reading this into what you've said, because you've only hit around the point on which I'd really like to get some explicit confirmation. 

Attachments added to an email/email merge ARE stored among the supplementary datafiles and ARE being stored redundantly for each contact in the sub-group used in a merge operation, correct?

It's good to, at least, have a hard number on that attachments folder and I agree with your assessment that we may not /need/ to keep that attachments and we're working on realizing that and changing the way we handle things. 

But part of the issue is, in the History for a Contact, when we see the entry for the email/merge operation and the attachment icon on that row out to the left, double-clicking that brings up the email, in a mail editor window, and the attachments are listed in the headers and a further double-click brings up the attachments.

Knowing we want to have this reference available later, we also are trying to understand just what part of what we're doing is interjecting redundancy into the db and/or supplementary db files.

Does the email get stored once and then linked to each contact in the operation?  We don't think so, since we're pretty sure doing whatever it is we're doing is multiplying the occurrence of our attachments thus our guess is that email in a contact merge operation gets duplicated.

But I'm surprised by this as pg 125 of the QuickStudy Guide shows how files can be attached directly or as shortcuts when attaching files to an /activity/.  So email's is just handled completely differently?  Confirm?

So, if the email itself gets stored for each contact in the merge, and then of course the attachments must be as well, is there any other way to provide context in the History tab so we one, know what were the attachments later, and two, can find them? 

I think this is what you were meaning when you suggesting using the email Subject, as a place to record what's being sent along with the mail?  Confirm?

I apologize for the naive and possible vague post, I'm just starting to get my head around ACT and already I've gotten these issues thrown at me from our Salesmen.  In order to proceed, I need to understand what ACT's doing and that's something on which even Tech support, in trying to fix our sync problem, hasn't been able to definitively comment.

Many thanks again for any help,

/j

Jim Burns
Technology Dynamics
Pearland, TX

jimburns wrote:

Thank you for the feedback.  Let me confirm and make sure I'm correct in reading this into what you've said, because you've only hit around the point on which I'd really like to get some explicit confirmation. 

Attachments added to an email/email merge ARE stored among the supplementary datafiles and ARE being stored redundantly for each contact in the sub-group used in a merge operation, correct?

I can't really recall with ACT! 10 - it's a bit different in 11 and I don't use ACT! to merge, I use either MergeMaster! or Swiftpage. Much better - you might give them a try

But part of the issue is, in the History for a Contact, when we see the entry for the email/merge operation and the attachment icon on that row out to the left, double-clicking that brings up the email, in a mail editor window, and the attachments are listed in the headers and a further double-click brings up the attachments.

I personally save the full body of the email in the history (better for searching) - it doesn't save attachments.

Does the email get stored once and then linked to each contact in the operation?  We don't think so, since we're pretty sure doing whatever it is we're doing is multiplying the occurrence of our attachments thus our guess is that email in a contact merge operation gets duplicated.

No. Merging saves the final doc (merged) so each will be different and save individually. Hence my sugggestion for a Feature Request to just save the template once and linked.

But I'm surprised by this as pg 125 of the QuickStudy Guide shows how files can be attached directly or as shortcuts when attaching files to an /activity/.  So email's is just handled completely differently?  Confirm?

Yes, it saves directly if you attach rather than embed. But even saving shortcut, while it helps with the sive for backups/sync, but still has the issue if you get 50,000+ files in the single folder

So, if the email itself gets stored for each contact in the merge, and then of course the attachments must be as well, is there any other way to provide context in the History tab so we one, know what were the attachments later, and two, can find them? 

Not sure I understand? Maybe, tell the merge not to save History and do a manual record history (Ctrl-H) and add all the Lookup

I think this is what you were meaning when you suggesting using the email Subject, as a place to record what's being sent along with the mail?  Confirm?

Not really... there are different History options when emailing/merging

I apologize for the naive and possible vague post, I'm just starting to get my head around ACT and already I've gotten these issues thrown at me from our Salesmen.  In order to proceed, I need to understand what ACT's doing and that's something on which even Tech support, in trying to fix our sync problem, hasn't been able to definitively comment.

It's often a good investment to work with a certified consultant from www.act.com/acc

Many thanks again for any help,

/j

Thanks for all the feedback, you've helped me find the boundaries on some of these issues and I've got a better idea of where to move and study next.

It's often a good investment to work with a certified consultant from www.act.com/acc

Already on it... just downloaded the certified list from ACT/Sage page, thanks.  I've already decided we need to hire a CC to come in and help us figure out how to best use ACT.  But I have these issues in front of me now related to syncing.  Ever since we updated to the latest .03, syncing broke and all h&$#'s broke loose.  We have to get running again and now. 

Thanks again,

/j

Jim Burns
Technology Dynamics
Pearland, TX

Houston, TX

Thanks

/j

Jim Burns
Technology Dynamics
Pearland, TX

ACT!'s birthplace was in Carrollton - just near Houston, I think.

There are a lot of ACCs there, but I'd recommend Susan Clarke at www.cornerstonesolutions.com - if you speak to her, tell her I said "Hi"