Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Connecting to ACT SQL Server

Connecting to ACT SQL Server

I am trying to connect to ACT SQL Server using a tool called Altova. The tool sees the database server but it can't connect. I am getting a user/password error. I tried ACT users and system users - no success.

Any ideas?

My goal is to update some tables directly.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Connecting to ACT SQL Server

You cannot update the SQL tables directly. You will damage the database.

The only correct way to update the ACT! data from an external source is to use the ACT! SDK

where can I download the SDK. Do I need to write code or will it allow me to run queries?

What are you trying to do?  Do you just want to read the data or modify?  ACT! Reader will allow you to read the data, but not modify.  If you want to modify, you'll need to purchase the SA password.

ACT! Reader Utility
The ACT! Reader Utility is designed to meet the power-reporting and data-extraction needs of some ACT! corporate customers. The ACT Reader account provides read-only access to most data tables within ACT!. Once connection is made to the ACT! database, third-party tools such as Crystal Reports® can be used to query these tables for advanced reporting and data extraction.

The ACT! Reader Utility allows the user to establish and set a user-defined password to log in to the ACT! Reader account. The ACT! Reader Utility also provides the ability to define, change, and reset the password.

ACT! SA Password Utility
The ACT! SA Password Utility provides organizations with direct, local access to the ACT! SQL instance by exposing the SA password. This utility is designed for those organizations that need third-party advanced back-up support, which requires an SA password. Customers may also find the SA password useful for querying database tables for custom reporting and data extraction using third-party tools such as Crystal Reports.

For details on these services, please call ACT! Corporate Sales at 866-903-0006.

http://www.act.com/products/large/cl/services/index.cfm

Thanks for the feedback. Here is what I am trying to do.

I have closed sales opportunities that I need to correct. If I open them -> correct them -> and then close them again I am losing the original closing date.

So I am trying to make that correction without losing the closing date.

David,

The SA Pass utility is NOT for modifying the SQL tables. It's not permitted in it's EULA and will likely lose data if not done correctly