Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Configuring ACT Pro 2011 on Server 2008 R2 Standard

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Configuring ACT Pro 2011 on Server 2008 R2 Standard

I cannot access the database from another computer. These database is hosted on 2008 Server. When I look on the drive, all the files are there. When I look at the share in the network window, the .adf file is not there.  Any reason why?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author marvinlgregory
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Configuring ACT Pro 2011 on Server 2008 R2 Standard

Right - you disable ONLY as a quick "looksee" to see if that is the issue.

If it is, then turn back on and configure as per the KB.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I've installed everything correctly. It's just that the .adf file does not show up in the network share.  All the other files do. I'm also trying to dynamically assign the TCP Port to 50920. I opened "actdiag" and selected "server security." I went to the Server Configuration Manager and assigned dynamic port 50920 under IPALL. I stopped and restarted the SQL Service for ACT7 and nothing. It still shows Network Protocols disabled and TCP/IP Port as statically-assigned.  YIKES! I'm really good as following instructions and nothing seems to work as instructed.

Bronze Super Contributor

I'd check windows permissions on the .adf and .alf files.

See a few lately where the .pad file allows for everyone and/or domain users, but the .alf and .adf don't.

Add domain users (if your using a domain) or Everyone - Full Control to those two files, then retest.

Thank you for your reply.  Unfortunately I still cannot access the database.

Platinum Super Contributor

The ADF file not being visible is not a high concern since the 'Database Files' folder is visible. When using the PAD file from the database on the workstation, what is the message you receive when attempting to open the database?
Greg Martin
Sage

The message I'm getting is:  "The database FOPCOINC could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

Of course I can access it locally on the server, but not from any other workstation.

Bronze Super Contributor

When you say that the .adf file is no "visible" - do you mean when browsing from the Windows File Explorer?  or, do you mean from within ACT!'s Open database dialog?

Keep in mind the ACT! open dialog "filters" the file view to only show either the pad file or the adf, but no both at the same time (controlled by the button in the lower right corner above "Open" button.

In any case, have you tried temporarily disabling firewall on the server and trying?

Being that you can open it locally on the server, that points to a communication/access rights issue between the server and the client...

Have you attempted opening from another client machine?  Same result or does it work?

What if you disable firewalls on both client and server?

Thank you so much. I disabled the firewall on the server and was able to access the file.  Is that safe or should I configure the firewall to allow connections to ACT?

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with exceptions to add to the firewall: KB Article 25125

This should allow you to keep the firewall enabled.

Greg Martin
Sage