Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Computer Crash

Computer Crash

My PC recently crashed and the only copy I have of my ACT database was taken directly off the hard drive and sent to a back up drive.  I have re-installed ACT but I cannot open the database (apparently cause it is not a backed up file). 

Can someone help??

Re: Computer Crash

What version of ACT! and OS?  What file are you trying to open in ACT!?  Are you trying to restore a database from File > Restore > Database?

Thanks Dave,

Sorry, that info would have helped... I am using ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1.  I also have Vista Small Business (32bit) as my OS.  The files I saved from my PC crash and moved to a backup drive are:

Opportunities2008.ADF = 302Mb

Opportunities2008.ALF = 1.02Mb

Opportunities2008.PAD = 1Kb

Some history.... this Version of ACT has been a nightmare with a mine field of bugs.  My calendar would get corrupted 1-2 times a week and I'd have to delete my preferences file.  I actually have a Case # stilll for that (10212415).  It never was resolved.  I actually just gave up and was using my Outlook calendar. I also had many many issues with connecting my ACT address book to Outlook.  I could go on and on... I am almost ready to switch our small busiess to Sales Force... we have 6 licenses for ACT

Sorry to hear that you've had a number of issues using the ACT! software.  I looked over the case number you've provided and it is listed as resolved.  Did the issue reoccur after the call?  The issue with the mini calendar is linked to large DPI settings on the computer.  You will need to change DPI settings to normal and rebuild your preferences.  The DPI settings will have to remain on normal.  With your database issue, copy the files locally if you haven't already.  Delete the PAD file and open the ADF through ACT!.

Calendar View Shows All Mini Calendars

Thanks agin Dave,

OK, I moved the ADF file to the same location where the demo databse is when you install ACT.

C:\Users\Keith Chalman\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 10\Databases

I see the ACT10Demo DB & a new one that I created when I re-installed ACT.  However, the ADF file does not show up when I open ACT then try to Open Databse and go to that location.  I did confirm that the ADF file is there I can see it when in explorer.  But cannot see it when I open AC and then try to open a database.  I do not see it when I try to import the DB either...

Sorry, I left out one step.  In the open database window, change file type to ADF.  Then you should be able to see your ADF file.

thanks, that worked... but now I am still having the issue with the calendar.  Error message pops up when I try to set a meeting up "Month must be between one and twelve. Parameter name Month"  All I have done is selected a date and a duration of the meeting.  I can attach a file of the error message that I saved from my "print screen function if you let me know how to get that to you...