Available Physical Memory 342.56 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 5.01 GB
Page File E:\pagefile.sys

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

Hi Pat,

Just a couple of thoughts from an amateur that seem to wotk for me. I am running Act9 on a 1.8Gz Pentium M laptop with XP, 2gb RAM, 3gb virtual memory.

Do you schedule new activities in the Contact or Calendar window, and does it make a difference on your machine? I find if I enter or clear the activity via the contact window then go to the calendar,  the change hasn't arrived yet, so hit View/Refresh and it udates instantly.

In fact I use View/Refresh a lot as it seems to force Act to ignore the standard database update cycle and immediately update the current action, don't know whether if you're meant to or not, but works for me. For example, when I am entering a new contact and want to Create Company from Contact I either have to wait for ages or hit View/Refresh to be able to do it immediately.

However if your machine completely hangs after entering the Activity then you i guess wouldn't be able to access the View menu.

Don't relevant this is but thought I would mention it.

Graham.

Nickel Contributor

Thanks Graham!

I have tried both contact view and calendar to schedule a new activity and clearing it. No matter.  Both ways are equally slow. I have some experience in html/hta and I am going to create a crude database this way so I can get away from this software.  I am FED UP with it.  I don't want to waste my life twiddling my thumbs waiting for things to happen with this.  I have tried everything. 

The way I see it is that ACT! needs to be with Microsoft Office and maybe a few other programs and it might work well.  I am NOT going to uninstall my programs from my machine.  If I am going to uninstall a program, guess which software program is going to be uninstalled?

You guessed it.

Pat

Copper Elite Contributor

Open source products look better every day don't they? I wonder if the Open Office/ Mozilla gang have got a Contact Manager in the pipeline??? Just a thought..........!  I had a good look around 3 years ago before running with ACT, including even Outlook with Addins (don't go there!). I like most of what ACT does, but the bugs/shortcomings can really ruin your day! Fortunately I don't have to use mail merge or document templates much, that would drive me nuts. Would also like a Report Generator with a UI that doesn't need a degree to use....... drag and drop would be good!

Have a good rest of the day

Cheers, Graham.

Nickel Contributor

You too!  In fact, I have been experimenting with html/hta for a while and it is super fast.  I made it myself and hopefully when I finish it,  I will use it fully!

Pat

Copper Elite Contributor

My wife works for the New Zealand Electoral Office, they have to maintian several million records on a central mainframe, networked to about 12 sites, all running on Open Office, Thunderbird, and Firefox!! (not sure what the OS is but it sure aint MS!!).

Graham.

Nickel Contributor

I was wondering if anyone from Sage would be able to answer a question that I have regarding the slowness of the forms closing. 

Roy admitted that it's a complex process that's going on when the forms are processing the data and it appears that he is in some way admitting that the form does take some time to process the information.

My question is:  Why does the information have to be processed at the same time the form is closing?  Can't there be a way of closing the activity forms very quickly and have the information process in the background so we can get on with our work? Why does all of this have to happen at once?  It's causing delays and I hate having to wait for it.

Can anyone answer this question or am I off base?

Pat

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Pat,

Did you try the View/Refresh, or is that just a red herring, or not available in later versions? My impression is that it forces it back into the present as it were, would be good if someone could explain more about whats really going on, and any way we do things that would save processing time. When I was programming dinosaur computers we had to organise our code (foreground/background operations) to optimise run time for the user, those concepts seem to have gone by the board now, programmers are expensive so just get the customer to chuck more RAM and Ghz at it! (Or am I being too cynical now??)

Graham

Nickel Contributor

Graham,

I have not tried your refresh idea.  How could you refresh the form when it's open or in the process of closing? Also,  if what you say is true about how run time is not being optimized, then I am ashamed to know this software. There are so many holes in this software.  Ugh.  If they concentrate on details and the little things, everything else is a piece of cake. Apparently no one seems to care. If they do, they sure aren't doing anything about it. It took them this long to issue a SP1 to optimize some of the speed issues.  Hey, how about the issue of these forms taking forever to close?   Do I have to uninstall every piece of software on my computer so virtual memory is optimized as they say?  I do believe that ACT! can only run on an OS with 3-5 programs on it. If one has 50, it's just pure madness to try. They sure know how to keep memory and hard drive makers happy. How about us?

Copper Contributor

Pat,

My computer is outfitted similarly to yours and I'm still running ACT!2004. May I assume that you're having these speed issues running ACT!2010 with Service Pack 1 installed (i.e., the "latest/greatest?"). Sorry to hear of your frustration...