Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

Nickel Contributor

Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

Hello everyone,

I don't know if it's just my computer, but does anyone else have a problem when you go to complete an activity or create an activity that it hangs for 5-15 seconds? Sometimes it longer than that.

I know I have posted this before, but has anyone come up with a solution?

My computer is a pretty fast one and yes, it does have 7200 RPM.

Pat

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

How many activitiies do you have each day? Also try maxing out your swap file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

On average I have about 30 activities and I have maxed out the page file. In fact, it's maxed out and on the secondary hard drive.

Do you have any other ideas Roy?  I am getting so sick of this that I dread using ACT!  Am I the only one that's experiencing this?

Pat

Copper Contributor

My Activities are slow also when I go to clear them.

Or to setup a new Activity Series.

Painfully slow.

Phoenix, AZ
4 user Act 2011HF5
W7 (32&64) on a W7-64 "Server"
Outlook 2003 and 2007

Having more than 100 activities scheduled per day will cause slowdone in activities but I think you problem is a result of Windows memory management. It would occur more often in a system with limited RAM but it can happen on any system. If  program or program module isn't used for an extended periond of time, Windows moves the inactive program or module to the virtual memory on the hard drive. Then when you call for that program or program module (in this case the activities module) Windows must first make room in RAM by moving some other program to the virtual memory on the hard drive and then moving the desired program into RAM. This process isn't fast. 

A side note: if you have a system that is using Vista or Windows 7, add plenty of RAM. I just built a new system using 64-bit Windows 7 and I have *-gig or RAM and from initial launch of ACT! until the database is open takes 10 seconds.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

So, a Pentium 4 CPU 2.8 with 1.49 GB of RAM, 2.79 Gigahertz with page file maxed out and placed on the non working harddrive. 7200 RPM is not good enough?
Copper Elite Contributor

Roy, what do you mean by 'swap' file? The posts go on to discuss 'page file' and 'virtual memory' (I know what that is, mine is maxed out!). Are these all the same or different things?

Graham.

Nickel Contributor

Also, what you're saying is that even if you have your computer in tip-top shape(i.e. clean temp files, defragging once a week, maxing out page file, visual settings turned off) that it's the computer's fault even if everything else runs very smoothly on the computer except ACT!?

If everything else has to use virtual memory also, why is ACT!(i.e completing/clearing activities) the only thing that is slow on my computer? The new Service pack from ACT! has tried to enhance the speed of the several areas of the software.  Are they admitting that areas of their own software is slow and they had to enhance their software?  Somehow, virtual memory explantion doesn't fly.  More like it seems you need a computer almost exclusively dedicated to ACT! and a few other programs to work at a decent speed since it must hog the virtual memory.

pat

Different names, same thing.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

First, clearing or modifying activities is very involved and take time to complete. Second, what is your OS? If XP the 1.5 gig RAM would be OK. If it's Vista or Windows 7, it's just about the minimum, the recommended is 2 gig RAM. Finally try running MSINFO32 where you can see the current RAM and virtual memory usage.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129