Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

Nickel Contributor

Re: Completing Activity hangs for 5-15 seconds

Fitman,

Yes, it's 2010 with SP1.  Maybe I should try 2004 for speed.  Is there anyway to still buy this version? Maybe I can "progress" by "regress"?

Do you have any speed issues with 2004?  Do any of the forms have problems "hanging"? I am willing to sacrifice bells and whistles for speed. Right about now I am willing to try anything to mollify the pent-up frustration of having to wait 5-15 seconds everytime I have to create an activity or complete one.  I dread doing it.

With no one else chiming in, it seems like maybe it's just my computer. 

Pat

Copper Contributor

Hi, Pat,

As many have noted, the speed is excellent in ACT!2004 -- loads in a few seconds, and I can "Clear,," "Reschedule," or "Snooze" even 40 or 50 Activities within 5-8 minutes, max (literally no wait time...). You can see elsewhere on the ACT/Sage website for the differences in functionality -- built-in E-mail marketing is missing, for one. My biggest concern is the relative incompatibility with post-XP operating systems and post-Office 2003 versions -- I'm going to have to move up to Windows 7 eventually, but perhaps the new computer will have the processing power to handle ACT!2010 adequately. Don't know where you'd get a copy of ACT!2004 since it's been so many years...

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 2004 was ACT! 6. It hasn't been available from Sage since 2006. It does run on XP and with Office 2003. Vista and Windows 7 tend to cause problems and it can't work with Office 2007. There isn't an easy migration from ACT! 2010 to ACT! 6, it requires a sepcial export utility. Here is the URL http://www.jltechnical.com/ACTExport7_9.htm

ACT! 6 performance was very good with small databases but the performance declined as the total number records increased.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I just built up a new system. It has a 64-bit processor and I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. For RAM I have 8-gig and a 7200 RPM hard drive with a 32-mb cache. From initial launch until a medium sized database is open in 10-seconds.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Roy,

What about the opening and closing of activity forms?  What about when the activity is completed through the alarm form where the alarm form hangs an additional 3-5 seconds even after the activity form closes?  The initial launch of ACT! for my computer is decent(about 10-15 seconds I would guess). If you can,  calculate the opening and closing of forms(on that computer you just built) along with having 50 or so other programs installed on the computer(with some running as processes, others not) and then let me know. ACT! may work well when the system is clean and has a few other programs, but what about having lots of programs installed?

And again, no one is answering the question: Why can't Sage just have ACT! close the forms quickly and have ACT! process the information behind the scenes?  I don't care if it takes 30 seconds for the activity to be recorded in the history tab, just let me do my work FOR PETE'S SAKE. CLOSE the forms quickly.  I am tired of having to say this.  SQL was supposed to be this marvelously fast system, but Sage is using it all wrong.  I am no porgrammer, but even a 3rd grader can see it.

Again, everything else (except ACT!) runs well. Every once in a while(a blue moon) some other programs slows the system down, but not often.

Sincerely,

pat

Message Edited by patgenn123 on 03-09-2010 03:08 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 03-09-2010 03:09 PM
Message Edited by patgenn123 on 03-09-2010 03:13 PM

No measurable delay on any of those operations.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Nickel Contributor

OK, Good. I am assuming you installed 50 programs into your system.

What about for people who are self employed, 1 or 2 people who have systems like mine who do not want to go out and get additional memory or upgrade a computer just to satisfy this software hog because they have enough to make everything else run pretty smoothly.

Roy, take a look at my specifications again.  Do you see other systems that have some delay issues with ACT! that are like mine or am I off the charts on this?  What am I going to do?  I hate it.  Waiting is not an option. What is going?

Pat

Highlighted
Copper Elite Contributor

Ok so you finish adding/clearing the activity, and when you close the activity window nothing happens. I wasn't getting that the activity window wasn't actually disappearing, for some reason I thought it was hanging after the window closed. So of course you can't access the View tab. Mine (Act9, 2007) does bizarre things like minimize the whole Act window when I close an Activity or Follow Up window (which does happen quickly), leaving the last used program window - usually Explorer or Outlook - maximised, then I have to click on the Act button in the Task bar to the Act window up again. I thought yours was hanging in that sort of situation. When mine gets back into Act usually the History or Activities or Calendar are not updated so if I need to access that info I need to do the View/Refresh then.

Generally Act9 is reasonably quick for me, although the consultant who installed killed all my monitor speed settings - just so Act can run faster - what a pain, I restored them all to no ill effect. But it does have some really annoying bugs and shortcomings e.g. if you change a phone number in the Company record then update linked contacts, it changes all the ph country codes to 01 (USA) which is not very user friendly when you live in NZ and the code is 064. After hours on the phone to the local consultants and a decent sized bill, I found out from this forum (Mike Lazarus I think) that it's a known bug and Sage never fixed it. Needless to say I got a credit from the local consultants. Makes me wary of paying for an upgrade that's for sure.