Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Compatibility Question ACT 10 with iPhone

Compatibility Question ACT 10 with iPhone

Does anyone out there know if ACT 10 is compatible to sync with the iPhone.  I am ugrading to ACT 10 and also want to upgrade to the iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Compatibility Question ACT 10 with iPhone

From what I can tell, CompanionLink requires several things in order to sycn to the iPhone. First is the $99 pro version, second is iClink which sells for $39.99 and, lastly, is the wireless sync service that costs $9.95 per month. Is there no solution that uses a direct (dock or USB) connection vs. having to use their service and pay monthly? I like CompanionLink in general and it works better than anything Sage has put out for sync'ing to a Palm device. One of my concerns is being able to sync between Act! and an iPhone, but I don't want to pay over $100 per year for this. Any ideas or suggestons would be great...

I think nearly all the PDA solutions are moving towards wireless only... there just isn't enough of a market left of people who only want to cradle sync.

I am currently using the new iPhone 3g with Act 10 and CompanionLink Pro thru a direct USB sync.  It works OK, but is a little bit confusing.

When you plug in your iphone to USB it automatically starts iTunes and syncs your iTunes with Outlook (plus all music).  Then you have to do the CL Sync which syncs the Outlook and Act databases.  Now, your phone is not up do date as you have sync'd first!

So then you have to re-sync with iTunes to update your iphone again.  Confused???

I really only want to use Outlook for email and Act and my smartphone for everything else.

I have also used the Act Link for Palm (included with Act) to sync directly with my Centro Palm and that works pretty well.  I just wanted to switch to either an iPhone, Windows mobile device, or Blackberry.

I actually own ALL of the phones:

1) Blackberry Curve, Blackjack II, iphone 3g, and Palm Centro. as well as I own Companionlink Pro.

Please someone tell me the BEST AND MOST EFFICIENT way to use Outlook 2007/windows Vista, with Act 10.0 and sync with my Smartphone??????????????????????  I don't care if I get my contacts and calendar into Outlook, I just want my Act and my Smartphone data to sync seamlessly.  Prefer USB sync and not pay for wireless service if possible.  I have between 3000 and 4000 contacts in my database to sync.

ALL OPINIONS WELCOME if you have actual experience syncing like this!

THANKS! 

Tony

tkokjohn wrote:

I actually own ALL of the phones:

1) Blackberry Curve, Blackjack II, iphone 3g, and Palm Centro. as well as I own Companionlink Pro.

Please someone tell me the BEST AND MOST EFFICIENT way to use Outlook 2007/windows Vista, with Act 10.0 and sync with my Smartphone??????????????????????  I don't care if I get my contacts and calendar into Outlook, I just want my Act and my Smartphone data to sync seamlessly.  Prefer USB sync and not pay for wireless service if possible.  I have between 3000 and 4000 contacts in my database to sync.

Which one do you want to sync with?

Have you tried Handheld Contact on the Blackberry and the Blackjack?

Have you tried ACT! for Palm on the Palm?

I have already done the Act Link for Palm sycing directly with the Centro, that works pretty well.  I just don't really like the Palm phone, but I may go back to it if it turns out to be the best solution.

I would love to have the iphone work the best as it is the most fun phone, but as far as I can tell after speaking with the CL helpdesk, I am syncing it correctly and it is a long process as I described previously as it has to go act-outlook-itunes-iphone

I really am just looking for opionions on from people that have experience with the newest devices and Act that want to sync like I do and be able to keep everthing synced up EASILY and EFFICIENTLY. (without paying $10 per month)

THANKS

Two things:

First, it's not a question of how new the device it, it's a question of which operating system. The iPhone, being so new with it's own OS (Apple only released their SDK when they launched the 2.0 phone) will have products like HHC in a few months. CL just goes to Outlook and use the Apple sync with Outlook to get to the phone, so they didn't need to wait for the SDK, but also means it can't have the real ACT!"experience"

Second, re the $10/mth, the number of users wanting cable sync is getting smaller that those who want it to sync wirelessly. This means that the best solutions will only be developed for wireless - it's a question of user demand. This means that remote servers become the way to go (most users don't have their own server infrastructure), which means that monthly or annual charge is the way the industry is going.

ACT! does provide a free basic cable link for Palm and Windows Mobile, but products like Handheld Contact that provide a more complete ACT! "experience" are only done as a service. On the plus, this means that they don't charge for (and users don't need to justify) upgrades for new versions of ACT!, feature enhancements or bug fixes.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

first of all iPhone 3G is a fun phone, but besides what says Mr Jobs, it is not more usefull for buiseness than the version 1 was.

we have sync'd 15 000 contacts even with a palm CIRE 71 without any problems, with some windows mobile version 5 or 6 devices without any problems, and this as well with wireless as with USB. And they all work great. But the iPhone, it is a laugh, once we sync'd, which takes a full day with the iphone (using companionlink) the iPhone slowed down, it refused to use bluetooth or any other handsfree device, which is a big problem in a car.

It is may be good enough for a couple of hundred contacts, but if it goes into the thousands, its finished.

It would be great if someone creates a separate database on the iphone just for syncing with contacts and calendars.

Message Edited by adecrignis on 10-04-2008 04:24 AM

Handheld Contact has a seperate database, but why anyone would want more than a couple of thousand contacts on a PDA is a bit strange.