Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV tabel, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

Skilled Commentator

Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV tabel, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

[ Edited ]

Hi

As an example I have 10,000 contacts in Act

I now have a CSV table with 2000 entries, all related to contacts within the 10,000 user Act database

What I want to do is - using a common field between the lists (say the email field as the common identifier)   is to UPDATE act with new information from the CSV

This relates specifically to a 'bounced email' list

So I either want to

1) Put some text in History to indicate the 'old' email addresses are no longer valid

OR

2) to update a field I have created in Act (ie created a dead-mail-box field for my own purposes)

Could anyone offer suggestions as to the easiest way to do this

Carl Dipane

Message Edited by tmergel on 01-25-2010 08:59 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV tabel, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

The only way to do this is with an add-on such as itImport - for the functions you mention, the Standard edition would be enough
Skilled Commentator

Re: Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV tabel, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

MIke

I've looked at your utility in the past - and know that sooner or later I need to 'take the easy route and go with your product!.

It looks good

Carl 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV table, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

Carl

An add-on application is not the only choice you have.

Be aware, that add-on applications such as itImport require you to purchase an upgrade each time you upgrade ACT! If you upgrade ACT! Annually, then effectively you are paying a subscription fee for what is a relatively straightforward task, achievable with a custom plugin development. In most situations that plugin will not require any updating between versions of ACT! unless there is a substantive change to the table structure that is involved. For instance as in the case of the opportunities entity with the introduction of ACT! 2010. 

Before purchasing any add-on software it pays to research the licence requirements, and product constraints.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Skilled Commentator

Re: Compare Act Database fields to an external CSV table, then update Act! fields based on values in CSV

[ Edited ]

Graeme

I fully understand - and appreciate your posting

Regards

Carl 

Message Edited by cjayd34 on 02-01-2010 04:06 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Carl -

From my experience, there are three options for this - two involve addons, one *might* work.

First, the two addons:

1. SwiftPage - would allow you to use their service to send emails, and capture all unsubscribes/bounces/etc.  Very complete - like ConstantContact if you've heard of that.

2. MailMerge from Northwoods Software - where you use your own mail server, but it does have the capabilities to capture bounces/unsubscribes *and* update ACT!.  Very nice product, I've installed it in a few client sites.

Now, another idea that might help is to use your csv file and just import it - using the email as the duplicate checker, and the "note" as the merge field, or add another column to the csv file that maps to a column in ACT!.  Not sure of this one, it's just an idea - I've not tested it, nor even thought through the whole process - just wanted to throw it out :-)

Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com