Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company vs Contact orientation: one-to-one relationship

Accepted Solution Solved
Loyal Listener
Accepted Solution

Company vs Contact orientation: one-to-one relationship

I am setting up ACT! 11.0 at a company that has never used ACT!  It will be used at the outset primarily to track lead generation.  Follow-up on existing clients may follow.

The nature of the business is such that, although names and personal details are important, there will never be a situation in which we'll have more than one contact at a particular company.  This will be true for the sales cycle as well as service.

In other words, we'll never have more than one record for XYZ Corporation, nor more than one record for Blah-Blah-Blah Partners.  Further, if we've been dealing with Smith at XYZ, and we start dealing with Jones, we no longer need the information (or a record) for Smith.  We're concerned with selling/servicing XYZ Corporation.  There is no breakdown by department.  We work with your company, not a subset of it.

Everything we need is in the Contact layout.  The Company layout is missing much of what we need to move along.  There is not even an email type available for definition of Company fields.  I can't see that we'll have any reason to use the company function of ACT!.  Having said that, our sales/service effort is centered around the Company.  Contacts will come and go.  There are times that a record will be created without a Contact filled in, but it will always have a Company name.  If we're looking for a record, we're looking for a Company name.

I've changed the order of the Company and Contact fields in my Company layout and in the list view.  I'll be changing the tabbing.  Is there anything else I can do to create this company orientation using the Contact layout and fields?  Is there something I'm missing here?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author message
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Company vs Contact orientation: one-to-one relationship

ACT! is contact orientated and in your circumstance I would suggest staying with the contact entity and not use the company entity. When the contact person for the company changes, perhaps use the ID/Status to flag which contact is the primary contact and which ones are kept for historical purposes. Hope this helps.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

What you're missing is an ACT! Certified Consultant.  They are able to address your query and many many others to ensure a successful ACT! implementation which satisfies the user's expectations.

If you go to http://www.act.com/community/acc/index.cfm you should locate one in your area.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Nickel Elite Contributor

It sounds like you are doing ok to me?

I may be missing something, but it sounds like you have the bases covered and I have used ACT! for many years.

You don't have to use the Company side of ACT!. 

But once you create your Company Contact record, it's real easy to click on toolbar:  Companies / Create Company record from Contact record.

With that easy step though, I would prob go ahead and create a Company record from the contact record.

( I do know of other users that do not use the company side of ACT!.)

You might confirm that all the necessary Company related reports will work? I think they will?

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Solution
Accepted by topic author message
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! is contact orientated and in your circumstance I would suggest staying with the contact entity and not use the company entity. When the contact person for the company changes, perhaps use the ID/Status to flag which contact is the primary contact and which ones are kept for historical purposes. Hope this helps.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129