Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company List is empty, how do I add companies?

Copper Contributor

Company List is empty, how do I add companies?

I'm still trying to figure out why I can't get the drop down menu on the Company.  Well, I'm trying to get a list of Companies in the database and when I run company report, I get a blank page.  On the Navbar, click on Company tab and no company name show up...

What am I missing?

fritz

Sage ACT! Pro 2013 Version 15.0.301.0

Bronze Contributor

Re: Company List is empty, how do I add companies?

Company records are not created automatically unless you specifically create them.  When you click on the Company tab on the left panel, do you see company records?

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

On the Nav Bar on the left, click the Company tab, the screen pops up with the columns (Company, address1, etc.) but no companies or data is visible as part of a list.

Bronze Contributor

That is the answer.  Companies are a separate table inside of ACT.  You must create the company records - they are not automatically created for you.  On a Contact record, at the top, click on Contact - then at the bottom of the drop down you will see Create Company from Contact.  It will create a company record for you there.

Under Tools - Preferences - Admin - you can set your preferences for what happens when new contacts are added and there is already a company record.  They will get linked to it by default.

If you want to do a mass update of companies you need an addon tool to do so.  

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

When I creat a Contact using the method from below, now the company name is underlined?  Is that normal? Seems annoying visually.

Can you recommend an addon?  I have 12,000+ companies in my database.

Bronze Contributor

The blue underscore means it is hyperlinked.  Clicking it takes you directly to the company record.  Most people find that convenient.  

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

Now the Company field is not auto-populating as I enter characters.  Anyone?  I'm following all the instructions on any posting with info on drop down Menu or Company...  ugh...

Bronze Contributor

Fritz, check your private email.  Also, the only way the field will auto-populate is if the company name is on the dropdown.  You want to use the little grey box to the right of the name and "link" it to an existing company.  My private email will help.  

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Copper Contributor

Thanks, I got the private email and I'll look into it shortly.

I'm very familiar with the drop down/grey box.  I've been using Act since V2.  I do have a customized layout.  I have several fields with the drop down option (see the little grey box which you can select a name or edit).  The COMPANY field is set up exactly as the other fields with Drop Down option and yet the Drop Down option does not appear only on the COMPANY field.  Plus, the names of the companies would auto-populate in the field as I typed letters and now with whatever modification I've done, the COMPANY field is no longer auto-populating.

I've created a custom report of just the Company names.  I'm going through the 17,000 company name list to edit out errors/typos, firms out of business, etc..  Then go to Define Fields > Manage Drop Down List > Edit Drop Down Lists > Import Drop Down List Items.  

But that would take some time to run through 17,000 names...but I've needed to edit the names for a very long time...

I'll look at the private email shortly...