Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Company/Contact Query confusion....

Copper Contributor

Company/Contact Query confusion....

OK...I'm sure I'm missing something.  I'm setting up a database of about 5,000 companies with 4-5 contacts linked to each company.  I have demographic data on each company (number of employees, revenue, etc).  I haven't seen a way to create a query using data from both the contact record and company record.  I'm sure I'm missing something......for example, let's say I want to send an email, create a lookup, etc to all CEO's of companies with employees >1,000.  The CEO is either a title or role that I have defined on the contact record while number of employees is a company field.  How can I best do this?
Copper Contributor

Re: Company/Contact Query confusion....

Bump....Anyone?

Good question - I've found that there tends to be a contact/company field setup separation (e.g. search for one but not both simultaneously), so I'm interested in any suggestions for this, too... It's possible that they're completely different data modules, so while it seems an obvious search to us,it might not be possible from the way the database (back end) is organized.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The ACT! database is a multi-table database so that one to many relationships can be set up. The Contacts are in a separate table from the Groups. Companies are in a separate table from the Contacts and Groups. Additional tables are Notes, History, Opportunities and Products. These are the main tables but the database structure is even more complex.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Copper Contributor

OK, but by linking the contact to the company I would think that some record is created that would then allow me to "match" records across the different database.  So, is there a way to find all contacts with fields matching a certain criteria whose linked companies match a certain (different) criteria?  I just don't see a way to do this, even within Advanced Query.  It seems to be Company only or Contact only.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The linking of contact to companies (and other field links) is mainly a copy between fields in the different tables. That would not do what you want because the same information appears in a field in both tables you would not need to search the second table. What you are wanting to do is search different fields in two different tables. That can't be done in the ACT! database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Nickel Contributor m4y
Nickel Contributor

It is possible only with an add-on. Try our UrQuery for ACT.

We are still working on it and many feature should be added soon. But a "basic" lookup combining Company and Contact fields is already possible.

Xavier Nyssen

ACT! Certified Consultant @ Intuitis | Belgium
{ +32 64 45 08 00 | xavier@intuitis.be | http://intuitis.be }