Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Companies - who needs em?

Copper Contributor

Companies - who needs em?

Hi all - looking for some advice.

The whole reason we installed ACT was so that remote users could see acount history - the one thing it DOESN'T do (and why should it, it's only sold by the world biggest accounts software company!).Anyway, after many many hours of transferring our existing Office dataabse over to ACT, i think we are stuck with it for the time ebing...

We use the software to track prospects mainly. We get a call or email from a prospect, we have to create a company, then create a contact (double entry of data with no way of copying it over), then assign the contact to the company, then create an opportunity, then add products to the opportunity. What a complete waste of time. And if i want to do ANYTHNG remotely sensible, i need to buy third party add-ons.

Anyway, in an attempt to cut down on time, i wondered what use there is for having companies at all? Why am i entering compnay AND contact information? The whole system seems 'contact' based, so can i save time by just deleting all the companies? What functions and abilities would i loose by doing this?

Hoping someone can help !

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Companies - who needs em?

The Company Records allow you to see items (Notes Histories, Sales Ops, etc) for all the combined Contacts of a Company

If you create the Company, then "Create Contact from Company" it will bring over the Company Primary fields so you don't have the double entry
Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike - just found it in the pull down menu, and never knew it was there!... shame it's not in the default right-click menu !  Do you know if there is anyway that i can add it to the right-click menus?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I don't think there's an option to do that ... probably could be done via the SDK, but not sure if anyone has
Silver Contributor

We only utilize companies if we are selling to large organizations. However, even with using companies, it should not be that frustrating.  Many of our users use just contacts, some use contacts and opportunities, some other variations.  It really just depends on your needs.  If you don't do a lot of forcasting, maybe you don't need opportunities as this can be built into the contact view. If you don't sell accross large organizations, maybe you can do without the company view.

However, your initial premise that you purchased ACT to track Account history... I'm not sure I understant this.  This is exactly what ACT does.  Can you elaborate more on this?

One the more frequent "push backs" we get from users is the perception that this "just takes too much time" which usually translates to " I don't see the value in the time I"m spending doing this in ACT".  This might be where a good consultant comes in.  There is a balance between entering every bit of information just for the sake of having it and not entering anything at all.  For the most part for users just seeking to keep account activity, it should take about a minute or less per conversaion to record the main points and plan for future conversions.

Our ACT database is probably the single most valuable company asset we have.  Anyway, i hopes this helps a bit.  If you have further questions, please feel free to post here or contact us.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

I gotta admit, the whole program to me is very labour intensive. We switched from Access to ACT just because of the accounts integration - only to find that there is NO accounts integration when sharing databases. (probably said it in the small print somewhere, but was never told that on the demo). Everytime i want to do somework on the structure of the dbase, i have to buy a 3rd party add-on. Never the case in Access... anyway, gripe over

can you explain "If you don't do a lot of forcasting, maybe you don't need opportunities as this can be built into the contact view".... we don't use opportunities for forecasting, we use them for sales prospects . When we get a lead, we add them into the dbase, add an aopoortunity, then add products to that opportunity. We do this against the contacts name. This is then our 'reminder' to badger them until they buy it from us, or we drop them. Is this how others use the system, or do they just use the scheduling side of the software for reminders to contact people?

Copper Contributor

... forgot to say..., sage support is awful, forum support is brill !!!!!

Silver Contributor

Can you help me what you mean by accounts integration that you thought ACT had?

Sales forcasting seems like what you're doing.  Tracking deals.

Maybe I'm missing something, but Access will not do a fraction of what ACT does without some really heavy programming.  What addins are you thinking of?  One of the great features of ACT is that there are so many addins available without you having to do that serious programming that would be necessary in Access.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Super Contributor

I believe original poster is referring to "ACCOUNTING" integration - with the likes of Accpac, Simply, Peachtree, etc.

I agree with original poster that Act should do a MUCH better job of integrating with accounting data from other SAGE products.

As a long-term user of Act and Simply Accounting, my experience has been that the development teams from the accounting product and from Act! don't really talk to each other.    There are so many missed opportunities here for Sage!

Luis Rodrigues