Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Common Primary field among tables

Common Primary field among tables

Before it is asked the reason I am using Excel and not the reports that ACT runs is that the ACT reports and

• the customizable templates do not offer the data I need (even with adding fields and customizing reports).
  • In addition, I recognize that crystal reports will work with ACT also but I am going to be having 100 people with access to these reports on their private machines (remote databases that do not directly connect to the main server database) which means teaching 100 sales people how to use crystal reports and putting it on that many machines...not the best option if I can avoid it.

Also if I can help my company save money by not having to spend more to accomplish my task, I would really appreciate it.

I am running into a snag excel pulling the data for me.

• I have successfully connected to the database
  • I have successfully selected on of the tables I am pulling data from
  • I have successfully changed the type of data from table to SQL
  • I understand how to enter the SQL programming to pull the columns I wish to see
  • Trouble arises with common primary identifier on a contact that exists on all the tables (or in this case the history and contact table).  I will be doing this with other tables later but for now I am just working with these two tables.
  • So that I can show that the appointment that occurred at this time was associated with this contact name.

I am programming as listed below:

Select history.regarding, history.create_date, contact.company

from history, contact

where history.? = contact.?

the ? Is the common primary field on the two tables that would allow it to pull correctly. 

can someone assist me?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Common Primary field among tables

Two comments:1.) I don't think you can accomplish what you want with Excel. 2.)There's avry good chance it can be done with the ACT! reports but I owuld need to know more what you want in the report to be sure.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What I need is the History summary classic report to be able to show calls left message and calls received also...But the 'fields' of these options does not exist to add to a report.  if the 'fields' were accessible when trying to add it to report templates, this would not be an issue.  so no the act reports will not take care of my needs (this has also been confirmed by the act tech support).

The ACT Reports customize template thing was the first thing I tried and realized early on it would not aid me.

You mean something like in the attached PDF. It's a PDF of one of the reports in my custom report package.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

the PDF did not come over. 

Try again

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

that is just about right.  where do they hide the 'fields' of the attempted calls?  I did not see those on the fields list.

They're not fields. the History Summary Classci report uses extensive VB Script programming to extract and accumulate the totals.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

that makes sense.  I thought that might be the case.  so other than getting your reports (which at this point would cost me), is there anyway you can tell me if there is a primary fields that is common across the tables so taht I can pull it via excel  (even if it is not visible - if I can searche it via the SQL programning part that will be ok also.

the trouble is that if I get the reports I need today and pay for them, they will ask for something tomorrow and then I will have to pay again.  so trying to find the cheapest option that allows me to generate reports that are not standard for them going forward.

There isn't a direct link between the contacts and history. The connection is through a separate linking table.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129