Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Comments field - copy, swap, replace

Comments field - copy, swap, replace

Is there a way to copy, swap or replace in the Comments Field? When I pull up the menu for copy, swap or replace it doesn't give me an option to utilize the comments field. I really hope I don't have to go through and delete the comments for over 1,000 contacts....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Comments field - copy, swap, replace

Hello Stone,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Unfortunately, Memo-type fields (which I assume your Comments field is) cannot be used with the Replace/Copy/Swap. Are you trying to delete the Comments for all of your contacts or just some?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I am trying to delete it from some, but they are all from a specific group.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You should be able to remove the Comments using an export/import. I tested this and it worked for me:

- Lookup the contacts you want to remove the Comments from

- Go to File > Export.

- Choose to export to a Text Delimited file; click Browse to name the file and choose .csv as the file type

- Export Contacts; export Current Lookup; choose the option to export field names

- For the field map, only export the Contact Name, Phone Number, Company and Comments fields by removing all the other fields from the list. Finish the export

- Open the .csv file you just exported in Excel

- Delete the contents of all the Comments fields and replace with a period (.) - unfortunately the cells can't be completely empty.

- Save the file as a .CSV file type and close Excel

- Backup your ACT! database

- Go to Tools/Preferences and click the Duplicate Checking button

- For duplicate checking options, choose Contact fields from the dropdown, choose 1-Contact, 2-Company, 3-Phone; make sure box to enable duplicate checking is checked; save these settings

- In ACT!, go to File/Import

- Choose Text Delimited, then browse to and select your .csv file

- Choose Contacts to import

- Choose Comma Delimited; do not import first record; do not use predefined map

- On field map screen, make sure fields are correctly matched

- On the Merge Options screen, click Contact

- On this screen, choose "Replace with source contact" on the left side and "Add" on the right side

- Finish the import

- When done, the Comments field for the contacts you exported originally then re-imported should be empty except for a period

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.