Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Combining Task lists from multiple databases for followup

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Combining Task lists from multiple databases for followup

Can this be done in 2011 pro? or in any version?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobfoxworth
‎12-01-2015 12:58 PM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Combining Task lists from multiple databases for followup

From your question, it is clear that you are operating in multiple databases. 

If that is the case, are the contacts who have tasks associated unique in both databases?

If they are unique, have you given consideration to combining the databases and taking full advantage of the ID/Status field? 

All you would have to do is

• Assign the valid ID/Status to in one database to avoid identification issues after the merge
  • first make a backup of each database BEFORE STARTING
  • export from one database to another

The tasks should transfer with the contact.

Assumptions:

• Both databases are on the exact same version of AC T
  • For the touch and feel, both databases use the same layout and have the same fields

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bobfoxworth
‎12-01-2015 12:58 PM
Bronze Contributor

From your question, it is clear that you are operating in multiple databases. 

If that is the case, are the contacts who have tasks associated unique in both databases?

If they are unique, have you given consideration to combining the databases and taking full advantage of the ID/Status field? 

All you would have to do is

• Assign the valid ID/Status to in one database to avoid identification issues after the merge
  • first make a backup of each database BEFORE STARTING
  • export from one database to another

The tasks should transfer with the contact.

Assumptions:

• Both databases are on the exact same version of AC T
  • For the touch and feel, both databases use the same layout and have the same fields

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
Tuned Listener

Thank you for replying, John.

I have two separate databases "LEADS" and "Prospects_Customers". I use the former for fast qualifying, making 3 calls if first is not responded to. I also  want to put as few records as possible in my qualified prospect/customer database. I export qualified ones to "Prospects_Customers". Those that are unqualified/ dead, I move to "DeadLeads"; then use that database for duplicate checking on subsequent lists. There is workaround I used with ACT 6 and could use with 2011 but I thought there might be something more straightforward in later versions.

2011 is pretty elegant; however I am still sadly missing real time call timing that I got used to in TeleMagic.

What is the "full advantage of the ID/Status field" you mentioned?

Thanks, Bob

Bronze Contributor

Good morning Bob.

The ID/Status is the key to organizing all your contacts in one database. 

Since you have leads, prospects, and customers, that would be the initial categorization.  If you want to see a list of who are the leads or any other category, then take advantage of dynamic groups . 

As a contact group (or all contacts at a company) changes from lead to prospect, update the ID/Status.  Remember to update all the contacts at one time by using Edit | Replace Field.  As you upgrade to later versions, you will begin to start using such things as smart tasks that kick off when a field is changed.  If you remember phone books, they were sectioned off in the white pages and yellow pages - ID/Status White Pages and Yellow Pages. 

Tom Horowitz in an earlier post pointed out that since any ACT field can take advantage of type ahead, try to start each ID with a different first letter - good tip for any drop down.

You will also want to spend a little time reading about the various lookup methods too.  For example, customers in Los Angeles, etc.

The bottom line is that all contacts are in one place and all you have to do is view the ID/Status to see their sales category - a real time saver. 

p.s. - I even have my personal contacts in the db with such ID/Status of Family, Friend, Merchant, etc.

Hope this helps.

John Purdy
Tuned Listener

Thank you John. Your strategy has more benefits than drawbacks. I will do it. My only concern is having so many records in one database. Is there an upper limit?

One problem I am having is when I set up new fields with a dropdown, it does not appear when I place the file in my layout. Am I doing something wrong?

[FYI I am running sp1 with hotfix 6]

Thanks again!

Bronze Contributor

Glad I was of some help.

I discussed the maximum in another post.

John Purdy
Administrator

bobfoxworth wrote:

One problem I am having is when I set up new fields with a dropdown, it does not appear when I place the file in my layout. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you defining the field as a dropdown as well as including it in a layout design?

Here's a Knowledgebase article that takes you though the process: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22850

Tuned Listener

I'm talking several 1000s not millions! thanks for the clarification. Guess that's one of the reasons for upgrade to .pad.