Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Combining Notes and History

Copper Contributor

Combining Notes and History

I recently upgraded to Act 11 from Act 6.  In Act 6 I extensively used Notes and History both combining under one tab/screen labeled Notes/History.  For example, when I sent an e-mail Act 6 recorded the date/time the e-mail was sent in the one screen Notes/History as E-mail Sent.  Later, I would manually insert a Note, such as "Customer responsed. Said ok." in the one screen.  Over time my database included thousands of chronological Notes/History entries on one screeen which worked very well for me.  On upgrading to 11, the conversion segregated all the Notes and History entries into two tabs/screens labeled individually Notes and History.  Question:  is it possible at this point to merge all the separate entries for Notes and History into chronological order under one customized tab/screen?  In other words, I would like to revert back to the one tab/screen I had in 6.0 where History and Notes displayed just one continuous chronological screen.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Combining Notes and History

There isn't any direct way to combine Notes and History. There is an addon available that can copy all your present Notes into History and you can then use the History as a combined Notes and History.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Where can I get this addon? I'm facing the exact same issue and I need to either merge my old notes and history onto one tab, OR bring everything from my notes into my history tab. How about some instructions for how to do it?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Send me a private message for additional information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I am having the same issue.  I would like to combine my Notes and History as well.  Currently running ACT 11, but inhereted older databases that have since been upgraded.  Did the Add-on you recieved work?  How can I get it?

Thanks so much!

-Brian Buckland

I'm still trying to make this happen.... I'll post when I get it done and let you know how it goes.

Naomi 

Yes, I bought the add-on and it worked fine. It took something like 17 hours to convert my database of 50,000, and it hung up and stopped after every 7,000 records and had to be started again, but well worth it in the end. It copied the original user's name and the original date with it, which was very nice. 

Thanks so much!  I just bought it as well and it worked perfectly on my Act 11.0 database.  I only had around 4500 records, but it did it's job without issue.

Thanks again!

-Brian

Tuned Listener

Hi, could you tell me what add-on you had to purchase to combine the notes & histories in ACT Version 11?

Thanks,

Bronze Super Contributor

Keep in mind that it is a better practice to record 'actions' (phone calls, meetings, etc.) as Histories in Act! and not Notes.

Notes are just that - Notes.  In other words, notes are those random yet important items that you want in the database but that are freeform enough that you would never create data fields to contain the data.  Examples of Notes:  'Loves cats.', 'Allergic to seafood', 'Dog's name is Marcie'.

If you are in the habit of logging phone calls into notes instead of choosing 'record history', you are then bypassing some very valuable functions in Act! such as the system maintained fields 'Last Reach', 'Last Meeting', 'Last Attempt' and also history reports will not work  correctly.