Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Collapsing VERTICAL Space in Mailing Label

Collapsing VERTICAL Space in Mailing Label

I want to collapse the VERTICAL blank lines on a mailing label, for contacts who don't have
titles  or companies.  Want to go directly from Contact to Address.  Can anyone suggest
how.  Act 2008.  Have succesfully collapsed horizontal space (city, state zip) Using
Avery 5160 labels.

Thanks
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Collapsing VERTICAL Space in Mailing Label

Set the fields properties to Can Shrink.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

In the report designer, is the field property for "Behavior", "Can Shrink" set to "Yes"?

I think I must be dense.  I have set the Can Shrink to "Yes".
My label looks like this

Contact
Title/ Department    (Custom) This is an expression.  Each of the Fields have been set to shrink.  This is the line to collapse.
Company
Address1   Address 2 (Also Custom)
City State Zip (Custom

What about "Can Grow?"

Still have a blank line for Contact Labels with no Title/Department.
Thanks for your help so far.
Nickel Elite Contributor

The report editor does not provide the Can Shrink property for custom fields and in most cases can't be made to shrink, especially where there are literal characters in the custom field.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
FLG
Astute Commentator

Roy, I'm very desapointed to read that. To solve the problem, I separate contacts with departement and contacts without. Then use a different type of label.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Actually I have been able to make custom fields shrink when empty but it takes direct editing of the template XML code. I've also overcome the shrink issue with custom fields through VB scripting in the template. In fact I sell a label package that will selectively print from the specified preferred mailing address, office or home using VB scripting.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

This sounds very complicated.  But this is not surprising.  Everything in ACT is complicated.  I have searched this forum for hours trying to find the solution to fixing this Vertical spacing problem in printing labels.  My former software, Address Book by Parsons did this seamlessly and I didn't have to be a label designer to do it so I know this is possible.   For 2 years I have been trying to get ACT to work for me.  Even renewed to a newer version thinking that was the problem but no it still has a lot of things like this VERTICAL space issue that drives me crazy.  A user needs 24/7 tech support but it costs more than the software. 
FLG
Astute Commentator

You still have a blank line for Contact Labels with no Title/Department. 
Under Properties, you did set the Can Shrink to "Yes" everywhere.
Then, on the menu bar of the Report Designer box, select : Edit. Define Sections. Details. click "Collapse if blank". Ok. File. Print Preview.
If it doesn't help, maybe so, you will have to make 2 types of Avery 5160 labels
Avery 5160 A
Contact
Title
Company
Address1   Address 2
City State Zip
and
Avery 5160 B
Contact
Title
Department   
Company
Address1   Address 2
City State Zip
Create as many Avery 5160 labels versions as you need to get rid of this problem. It's also for me a very big problem with Act !
Copper Contributor

I have been fighting this as well for 4 hours today

This works

put in custom field

right click - Edit Script - OnPrint

Paste this into pop up

If Address21 = "" THEN
    Custom1.Text = address11&"
"&city1&", "&prov1&" "&PC1
Else
    Custom1.Text = address11&"
"&address21&"
"&city1&", "&prov1&"  "&PC1
End

In the IF statement do not use NULL as test field it works if you us double quote ""

All fields must be in the report - so you don't see (city, postal code) - select hidden or make small with white text.

check your field name s- found in property bar at bottom

Good Luck eh!

Tom David Moxam