Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Collaboration on database without server?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Collaboration on database without server?

Hi So I have 10x ACT! by Sage 2009(11.0)

And a backup of the database (.ZIP-file) that I created from a .RDB file of the old database.   

Is there any way to set them up so everyone can work on the same database without using a server? 

I have network hard drives that all of the users can access, and I think they previously used ACT 6 and solved this with synchronisation to the network drives. But that they gave me a .RDB file to begin with make me think maybe they did something wrong, but it worked.  

I have read some kb:s on synchronisation and sharing db over network, but haven’t find any info on how/if you can put the Parent db on a network drive and even with Network Synchronization that I cant use with this version of ACT! requires the service to run. (One thing that maybe can be done on the network drives if some rules are broken). 

I only need a working temporary solution, as I considering getting a virtual server and premium version of ACT later.  

By the way, what are the differences between ACT! and the ACT! Premium version. It’s 10 user limit on server sharing on ACT! right? Is it simpler to put up any kind of Collaboration with the premium version? I se it have more synchronization options.

Thanks for any help

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author asedt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Collaboration on database without server?

No, the SQL server hosting the database will need to have ACT! installed on it as well.  And on that server, you will need to create the SQL instance for ACT! (ACT7) to connect to the database.  Please see the information in the following Knowledgebase article on creating the ACT7 instance of SQL:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Whatever machine you decide to host the database on will need to have both ACT! and SQL installed.  This also true if you wanted to use sysnchronization as well. If the machine does not have a server O/S, then you will be limited to 10 connections by the operating system.

If you would like to see a comparision of the standard and Premium versions, please see the following web page:

Compare ACT! versions

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

"Whatever machine you decide to host the database on will need to have both ACT! and SQL installed."

We have dedicated sql servers, is there no way to put the database ther without instaling Act on the sql server?

I still having some problems to get things up and running Smiley Sad

Solution
Accepted by topic author asedt
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

No, the SQL server hosting the database will need to have ACT! installed on it as well.  And on that server, you will need to create the SQL instance for ACT! (ACT7) to connect to the database.  Please see the information in the following Knowledgebase article on creating the ACT7 instance of SQL:

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

Greig Hollister