Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Clocks Fall Back - Act Calendar Dates Screwed Up

pwk

Clocks Fall Back - Act Calendar Dates Screwed Up

[ Edited ]

Here we go again ... the clocks change, and now all my appointment times are screwed up. I'd forgotten about this happening earlier, and almost ended up at an appointment an hour early. (ACT! Pro - 18.1.103.0)

How do I work around this bug! Anyone any ideas?

I actually asked about this last year, but never found a good solution (https://community.act.com/t5/Act/Appointment-Times-Changing-in-ACT-Pro-18-running-in-Parallels-on/m-...) ... I think I ended up changing the Windows timezone (I'm using Windows on a Mac, within Parallels). 

This whole thing makes no sense! Come on, guys, fix this dumb little bug!

Peter

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Clocks Fall Back - Act Calendar Dates Screwed Up

This isn't an ACT! problem. ACT! uses the Windows time tome zone and clock settings for time and date control. Running on a Windows machine there isn't any problem as you describe. Any bug is likely in the Parallels virtual machine you are using on the MAC.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Employee

If you are using a web version double check with the following:

18198 How to Use the Time Zone Feature in ACT! Premium for Web

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18198/kw/time%20zone

Otherwise if you are on a local db version it is set to the pc time zone as noted.

pwk

It's a bug in the sense that regardless of a timezone change, if I set an appointment for 10AM then it should remain set to 10AM and not shift to 9AM just because the clocks went back. Why does ACT need to reset appointments based on time-zone change?

pwk

Carl:

Nope, not using a Web version. 

AS I said it's not an ACT! bug because it's not present on an actual Windows machine. It appears the bug is in the Parallels virtual Machine not properly emulating the Windows platform.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Actually, I have the same problem on a Windows machine. It used to be that I could work around this by changing the time but not the time zone. However ACT 21 will not even load up if the time zone has not been changed. So all of my appointments are off based on the time zone difference between my office in Central Time and  where I am. This is a scheduling nightmare!

Not really. ACT! stored date and time information as GMT + the offset to your time zone based on the time zone settings in Windows for your computer. This way a database that is shared across multiple time zones will show the actual time based on their location.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Here's what happens: my office is in Central Time, so when there my Windows computer is set to the Central Time Zone. I have appointments that I need to make in all 4 time zones from California to Atlanta.

So a client wants to meed with me at 10:00am on Monday in San Diego. I add the appointment into ACT for 10:00am on Monday. Another Client wants to meet with me at 9:00am on Wednesday in Billings, so I add that appointment into ACT for 9:00am on Wednesday. Another Client wants to meet with me at 11:00am on Friday in Minneapolis, so I add that appointment into ACT for 11:00am on Friday. Another Client wants to meet with me at 3:00pm the following Tuesday in Atlanta, so I add the appointment into ACT for 3:00pm on Tuesday.

Now, when I travel to San Diego for the 10:00am meeting on Monday, changing the time zone to Pacific Time also changes my appointment from 10:00am to 8:00am - not good! Then when I show up in Billings for my 9:00am appointment on Wednesday and the time zone on my computer is changed to Mountain Time, the appointment time is also changed from 9:00am to 8:00am - NOT GOOD! When I go to Minneapolis for my 11:00am appointment on Friday and the computer time zone is changed to Central Time, the appointment is correct at 11:00am, because I set the appointment up while I was in the Central Time zone - this is GOOD! But then when I go to Atlanta for my 3:00pm appointment on Tuesday, when the time zone on my computer is changed to Eastern Time, the Atlanta appointment is also changed from 3:00pm to 4:00pm - obviously making me LATE ... NOT GOOD.

So I don't know how you can not see this as a problem. It used to be that I was able to work around this by leaving my time zone as Central Time and just changing the computer time to whatever time it was in the time zone where I was (leaving the time zone as Central Time). However, version 21 of ACT will not even load unless the time zone has been changed. So dealing with appointments across time zones is a NIGHTMARE!

This could easily be solved if there were a way to indicate which time zone the appointment was in when adding the appointment, that way I could see what my appointment schedule was on my calendar and the system would not change the appointment times when I traveled across to the different time zones.

Someone suggested in one of these threads that I should simply set up the appointment based on what time it would be in the client's time zone - in other words instead of adding the San Diego appointment into ACT for 10:00am, I should add it into ACT for 8:00am. However this would be totally unworkable because if the client called me to verify the appointment, I'd have to try to make sure that I do calculations correctly so that I tell them that I show the appointment at 10:00am, when what ACT would really show is 8:00am.

I hope that this makes sense - I know that the post is very long, but I don't feel that this problem has gotten correct answers - does anyone else travel across time zones???

I understand what you would like. However the ACT! database is designed for a common database being shared by users in multiple time zones and works very well. What you want is mutually exclusive from that use. The best I can suggest is to schedule for the activity time relative to the time zone where you are located at that time so the time is correct when you visit that time zone.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129