Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Clicking on Yes/No field: Object reference not set to an instance of the object error

Clicking on Yes/No field: Object reference not set to an instance of the object error

I added two Yes/No fields to my layout after defining these fields and now, when I click on them, I get this error message.

I saw some other articles which suggested that one's Preference file might be corrupted and performed the steps in the article "How To Rebuild ACT! Preferences". This did not change the fact that the error message comes us just by clicking on this field (either of the two fields) that were added to the layout. I also clicked on three other Yes/No fields and get the same error message. Inputting information in other existing fields works just fine. Can anyone shed any light on this curious problem?

Re: Clicking on Yes/No field: Object reference not set to an instance of the object error

I should mention that I'm running ACT!2010.

Re: Clicking on Yes/No field: Object reference not set to an instance of the object error

Running ACT!2010, I get this error "Object reference not set to an instance of the object" every time I click on a Yes/No field--any Yes/No field. I've deleted my Preferences file using the Diagnostics route and manually according to previously published suggestions. The results of setting the appear to be reflected in the database if entered on individual contact screens. If I attempt to change them on the Contact List screen with the Edit option enabled, they are reflected in the GUI as having been changed, but when the individual record is brought up, the change is not captured in the database. Is there anyone out there who can suggest a fix or workaround?
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello GennT,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

This is a known issue with Yes/No fields added to the Contact List view in Act! 2010.  You will not be able to update them and they can cause the Object Reference message. 

Try using the Customize Columns > Reset option to put the columns back to original.  Then close and reopen Act! to make sure that the Object Reference messages are no longer occurring.  If they are, you may need to recreate your Preference files again (manually).  Then you can add your desired fields back to the Contact List, but would recommend leaving the yes/no fields off to make sure they aren't selected for updates again.

Greg Martin
Sage