Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cleaning up the Clutter!

Cleaning up the Clutter!

Hi,

We're using ACT Premium, being shared by several work stations on a server.    Most of the workstations use Windows 7 Professional.

We'd like to clean out some older contacts from our database, but save them in case they are needed in the future.

Will it be easier to create a new identical database and then transfer the selected contacts to the new database, and delete them from the existing database?   If so, what is the easiest/best way to create a new identical database?

Or would it be easier to transfer the selected contacts to a spreadsheet, and what would be the easiest way to go about this?

Thanks for any input/advice.

Barb

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cleaning up the Clutter!

The best method is to in ACT! use File Save Copy As | Empty copy. That will create and empty clone of your database. Then create a lookup of the contacts you want to archive including all the user My records so that record manager information is preserved. Export the lookup to the empty copy and check to make sure that the information has transferred. Then delete the exported lookup without the user My records in the original database.

Be sure run database maintenance and  to make a backup of your main database before starting.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the information.   I've run into a problem........I have a window that pops up and says that the current database is a non local database.   Only local databases (those residing on this machine) can be copied.    Our database is on a server and is shared with several work stations.

Do you have any additional advice for me?

Thanks in advance.

Barb

Copper Elite Contributor

You have to do this directly from your server or wherever the first database is located.  Adding to Roy's tips, look up the users in the old database and export them first and separately from the remainder of your contacts.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450

Hi,

We've tried all of these suggestions (and more), but none of them have worked.   Our IT professionals have also reached out to ACT directly on our behalf and did what they suggested, but it still wouldn't work.    

So.....on to plan 'B', which is to create a spreadsheet for storing these old records.   We've created our .csv document and it works fine, but only for the first record.    When I search for and find the second record to add to the spreadsheet, it gives me the option of overwriting the first record instead of adding to it.    Do you have any suggestions?

Barb