Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

City,State Address in Reports.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

City,State Address in Reports.

I have carefully followed the instructions (using both methods - one at a time) on how to remove blank spaces between fields like city, state and zip code in the reports-edit-Report Designer.

I used System fields-Custom - created scripts, used extensions etc.  Nothing worked. 

I was careful with field descriptions and still failed after hours of trying 

HELP!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jbjx
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: City,State Address in Reports.

Try changing the field object name to Zipcode5. The number does not matter but hyphens in the field object name often causes the script to fail. Then make the same change to the expression or script.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Why don't you copy one of the standard reports save it with a new name and then remove the parts you don't require in your report.
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

pbuchtmann wrote:
Why don't you copy one of the standard reports save it with a new name and then remove the parts you don't require in your report.

Paul

I must disagree with your suggestion. While that worked fairly well in ACT! 3-6 reports, it will often lead to a non-working report with the ACT! 7 and later reports. Most of the new standard reports are actually conversions of the ACT! 6 reports and many of them include poor report editing techniques. They almost all include scripts for some functions and simply trying to start with a standard report and delete what isn't needed often runs foul of the scripts and results in a report that doesn't work and is very difficult to troubleshoot. I find that modifying a standard report so onerous that I build all reports that I do from blank masters I have created. Just this week I needed to build a custom Notes/History report that appeared to be a simple modification of the standard report. I tried but in the end, built a new report faster from scratch. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Please check your personal messages.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy, 

Thanks anyway,

The instructions you supplied did not work either.  All I get on the new report created using your instructions when I run it for a contact is the letters typed into the Expressions box.   That is City1&","&State1&" "ZipCode-1-1.

jbjx

jbjx wrote:

Roy, 

Thanks anyway,

The instructions you supplied did not work either.  All I get on the new report created using your instructions when I run it for a contact is the letters typed into the Expressions box.   That is City1&","&State1&" "ZipCode-1-1.

Believe me, they do work if you follow the instructions exactly. Any scripting, and the expression in a custom field is a single line script, needs to be precise. The syntax allows flexibility provided the usage is consistent. However, a single incorrect character will cause that script to fail and in most cases, all following scripts to fail. 
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

You are correct it does work - Almost - I tried it with Contact-Title information and got it to work.

Then I did city,state and it worked.   

But when I did three fields and included the ZipCode-1-1 field it did not work at all.

The ZipCode-1-1 does work independently and returns the zip.

Where can I see examples of the repoorts you sell? 

Solution
Accepted by topic author jbjx
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Try changing the field object name to Zipcode5. The number does not matter but hyphens in the field object name often causes the script to fail. Then make the same change to the expression or script.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

That worked  - Terrific.  I wondered about those hyphens. 

Bronze Contributor

Thanks Roy for your comments although this has worked in many cases I will take this on board
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.