Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Check for Duplicates

Copper Contributor

Check for Duplicates

I use ACT Pro 2013,  Version 15.1.108.0, I use a local database on my Windows 7 Professional computer.  I am not sure I understand this function.  I believe when set up it is supposed to advise me of when I am putting in a contact that already exists. Exactly how is it supposed to notify me?  I see that the function is enabled in preferences.  But when I deliberately put in a duplicate contact manually, nothing happens?  What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Check for Duplicates

There are 2 independent functions:

'Scan for Duplicates' and 'Duplicate Checking' -

Scan for Duplicates - is a manually initiated process (Tools > Scan for Duplicates), based on the fields specified will locate existing duplicate records and provide steps for combing them.

Duplicate Checking - by setting the desired fields, you will be notified when saving a new duplicate contact.  The message is: "The record you are trying to create is a duplicate.  Are you sure you want to continue?"

All fields selected in Duplicate Checking must match to be considered a duplicate.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi, We have a serious problem with our database regarding duplicates. We use to have problems even before when users where swapping seats within the office duplicates kept apearing. and when i mean duplicates I really mean loads of duplicates something like from 3000 contacts 7000 to 9000. Recently we started using Google Business Apps for our emails, cloud storage and contacts and as soon as we started synchronising Sage with Google it all went manic on Sage ACT. It kept duplicating and duplicating. On Google contacts there is a simple option to find and merge duplicates which does it automaticaly in about 2 minutes. With Sage Act we are a bit stuffed as we now have over 18000 contacts( a set of 3000 contacts for each user) and with the current merging option that Act offered you get a pretty good idea on how long it will take for us to merge all of them. Why is this happening? Why can`t we have only one set of contacts in the database that aren't locked onto a specific user unless they are private. We are less and less using Sage Act now because of these issues and we are considering switching over to a different CRM software as we are due to upgrade.

we are using

Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

This Product is licenced to: Ionut Salitra
Portal Power Ltd
Number of Licences: 6

Platinum Elite Contributor

Real duplicate merging isn't simple. Do you want an exact match or a fuzzy match (for example does John Smith match with John J. Smith)? Do you want delete one record or comfine individual field information? And so on. If you want a comprehensive merge then you will need an addon utility. I suggest that you look at the one offered here. http://www.egenconsulting.com/egcproducts.html

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Portal Power Ltd,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

For the cause of the duplication:

It sounds like you have each employee setting up synchronization with Sage ACT! and Google.  And that they have the same contacts within Google (possibly even accessing the same Google account).  If that is correct, duplication will occur within Sage ACT!. 

It can be a bit hard to explain, but here is a brief explanation:

Because each employee setup is independent, the individual employee syncs will not recognize that the contacts have already been syncrhonized to the database by another employee's sync.  It will consider the contacts as new and add them to Sage ACT! and/or Google.

Example:

- 3 employees set up Google sync, all have the same 5 contacts in Google. 

- Employee 1 syncs contacts 1 through 5 to ACT!

(now there are 5 contacts in Sage ACT! - no duplicates)

- Employee 2 syncs, which adds the same 5 Google contacts to the database

(now there are 10 contacts in Sage ACT! - duplicates)

- Employee 3 syncs, which add their 5 Google contacts to the database

(now there are 15 contacts, triplicates)

Depending on your sync settings, the newly added contacts in the Sage ACT! database may be added back to Google - becoming duplicates in Google.

Greg Martin
Sage