Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing the contact name

Changing the contact name

I have a 1 user license for ACT 2010 - I am trying to edit the contact name (record keeper) enetered as administrator - i must have set it up incorrectly - when i go into tools > manage users...  i see the one contact i created however it will not allow me to change the contact name (it is greyed out and un-editable)

I appreciate the feedback on how I can re-edit the name

Thank you

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Changing the contact name

In 'Manage Users', the Contact Name is driven by the value in the 'contact record' for the user.  Since you have a 1 user license, you can close the Manage User screen > go to Lookup > select My Record.  On this record, you will update the Contact Name field - this will in turn update the Manage Users screen and the Record Manager information.

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Just to add to what Greg said... the My Record in ACT! is the first record you see when you login.

tkc

[ Edited ]

Hello Greg, Mike, and anyone who is looking Smiley Happy,

I'm trying to do the same thing as OP because there was a typo in entering my name, but I'm having an issue.

I followed your direction "go to Lookup > select My Record.  On this record, you will update the Contact Name field - this will in turn update the Manage Users screen and the Record Manager information."

However, when I did his, I get an error message that says "Deleting the contact name of your My Record is not permitted."

If it makes a difference, we have multiple user license, and my Security Role is set as Administrator.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your help!

Message Edited by tkc on 06-16-2010 08:40 AM

Hello TKC,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

Some questions for you:

Which version of Act! are you running?

What is the operating system of your computer?

Are you getting this message when you attempt to overwrite your name, or are you removing the name completely before attempting to re-enter?

Greg Martin
Sage
tkc

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply!

2009 Version 11.0.

Windows Vista Business OS

I'm just typing over my existing name with the correct spelling and the message appears when I click the save "disk" button.

Thanks again!

Toby

I'm able to reproduce the message, but only when I remove the name completely (blank Contact field) and click on Save.  If I highlight the name and begin typing it accepts the new name.  You can try signing off and having another user attempt to update your name for you.

It's possible there is a problem with the database, here are some steps to help isolate:

- have another user see if they can update their contact own name

- run Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair (will require all other users be out of the database)

- open the Act! Demo database and test changing the My Record there (username Chris Huffman - no password)

Note: Before attempting these steps, ensure that you have a current backup of the database (File > Backup > Database).

Greg Martin
Sage