Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing the Record Creator in Contact Access

nmk

Changing the Record Creator in Contact Access

We have just recently upgraded from Act 6 to Sage Act 2011.  I was responsible for doing this, and in the process - ALL the records were changed to my name.  Smiley Sad  We would like them all changed back to my bosses name - and we will go on from here with the appropriate name for the appropriate work done... Does anyone have an idea of how to change all the records back to my bosses name?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Changing the Record Creator in Contact Access

There isn't an option for changing the 'Record Creator' field.

You may want to look at using the 'Record Manager' field instead. The Record Manager field is used to assign contacts to different Sage ACT! users, and can be updated as conditions change. You can mass update the Record Manager through the Contact List view. Create a Lookup of appropriate contacts, click Edit > select 'Record Manager' (I believe it is 'Manager' in 2011) > enter the desired value. This option will update all contacts within the Lookup.

It is highly recommended that you create a backup before making any mass changes (File > Backup > Database).
Greg Martin
Sage
nmk

Thank you kindly for the information about Record Manager.  I think my boss wants the creator to be him too though...   I'm not sure exactly how they all became me - there were several steps in upgrading to 2011 and I'm not sure at what point they became me...  I know I had designed new layouts for him and the database was in my name when I did that - then I imported Act 6 to 2011 into the new screens database, I'm guessing that's what happened.  If there is no mass change for Record Creator - is there something 'tricky' we can do to get them all back?  Would exporting all records to an Excel file and import them back into a database he owns (with the new layouts) work?? It seems they shouldn't have changed from him to me - but they did.  Also - does record manager limit who can see/access/edit the records??

Silver Super Contributor

I think if you make your boss an administrator and then log in as him and delete your user record and tell it to reassign all of your records to him you will end up with him as the creator.  I'm not absolutely sure of that but it would be worth a try.  The second option is to create a new database by making a copy of your database, export his user information only to the new database and then open the new database and import all of the records from the old database.  I think that will change the record creator of the records.  It still might not though.  If neither of those techniques work you can contact me off line and I can change the record creator for you.  You can get my contact information by going to the website in my signature.

Like Greg suggested make sure you create backups before you do anything.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
nmk

OK - have been fiddling with the database a bit - it seems not ALL records were switched to me, only about 1/2 of them.  There are also a good number of records which I DID create and would like to remain creator of.  I have written a query that identifies all the records in the database that I am currently creator of and want to switch (back) to my boss as creator.  How would I export just those and re-import them (hoping it will change creator to him)  I know I will have to be logged in as him.  But how do I export just a query of records and then re-import them?  and wouldn't this make duplicates??  Is there a way to do a delete query?? (I'm sure there is - but how do you do this?)  I saved the query and it seems there was a delete option to run the query (I'm not 100% sure though) Is this how you would do a delete query?