Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing the Contact Layout

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Changing the Contact Layout

I want to design a new Contact Layout for my database, changing all the fields. Tools/Design Layouts lets me delete all the fields, add fields and save under a different name. However, when I open the same database again, how can I remove the original layout and replace it with the one I designed? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author BaldEagle
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Changing the Contact Layout

Hi,
Don't delete the original layouts, there is no need. If your database doesn't open with the layout you want to use, then click in the nav bar at the bottom where the name of the incorrect layout is desplayed (I think , the default is usually "basic contact layout" and select the layout you want from the dropdown list.

We have found it best that each time we make a major change to the layout to save it as a new layout under a new name to ensure it is working correctly. This way if a problem arises you can go back to where you knew it was working instead of starting from scratch.
Make sure you save the layout in the "layout"s file or where they are stored for your program. they have a .cly extension. This may be why you cannot find your layout on the dropdown.
Each time you open the database it should (ours always does and it is heavily customised..) find the layout automatically, but if not just click from the dropdown list at the bottom

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Elite Contributor

I suppose you could manually remove the cly file from the Layouts directory.  But a better approach might be to simply select your new layout from the layouts dropdown list.  The next time you start Act, it should "remember" the layout you are using (... I think).

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

I couldn't find the Layout dropdown. It's been about 5 years since I used Act. Thanks.

Bronze Super Contributor

Depending upon the version you are using, it should be in the toolbar up toward the top of the ACT! screen, toward the right.

I'm using 2006 ver 8. The Layout tab is on the Status Bar, at the bottom.

Solution
Accepted by topic author BaldEagle
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Hi,
Don't delete the original layouts, there is no need. If your database doesn't open with the layout you want to use, then click in the nav bar at the bottom where the name of the incorrect layout is desplayed (I think , the default is usually "basic contact layout" and select the layout you want from the dropdown list.

We have found it best that each time we make a major change to the layout to save it as a new layout under a new name to ensure it is working correctly. This way if a problem arises you can go back to where you knew it was working instead of starting from scratch.
Make sure you save the layout in the "layout"s file or where they are stored for your program. they have a .cly extension. This may be why you cannot find your layout on the dropdown.
Each time you open the database it should (ours always does and it is heavily customised..) find the layout automatically, but if not just click from the dropdown list at the bottom

Thanks. That's what I did after modifying the original. I saved the modified under a new name and the next time I opened Act, I selected the modified layout from the Layout tab.