Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing location and manager of main database

Copper Contributor

Changing location and manager of main database

Where is the information on how change the location and manager of the main database? 

I started the database and created remote databases as we went. Now there are 5 remote databases. I use a laptop and am gone from the office occasionally making syncing a problem since we sync over the network while we're in the office daily.

We want to have the main databse be on our admins computer with me and everyone else the remote databases.  Her ACT database is one of the 5 current remote databases.

Can't be the first time and I apologize if there is an easy way to find this info.  Any help appreciated. TIA

Silver Contributor

Re: Changing location and manager of main database

Detatch the ACT database from SQL using ACT diag (start, run, actdiag).  Move the .alf, .adf, and supplemental database folder.

On the new machine, choose File, Open, .adf to reattach the database on the new computer.

On each remote, change database location, Tools, Sync, Sync Panel, Manage Main database Location. Change to the machine name of the new machine.

Make sure the sync service is set up on the new server and change the sync settings on each laptop as well.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks, Jon.  What about the database on the Admin's machine that we are in effect replacing?  Just sync before we do this and then delete and remove that database. Do we then change/replace the logon/pw to the master database? Then for mine...I assume we just create and export a report databse back to me that I load up.  I have to get all my details right as I'm not terribly intuitive about things that might be obvious to some users.

Silver Contributor

Yes, you would remove or take offline the former Remote databasea used by the admin. You would then create a new one for yourself.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks, Jon.  Seemed logical but appreciate the feedback.