Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing from Act 2008 to Act 2010

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Changing from Act 2008 to Act 2010

I am having difficulty transfering my database from Act 2008 to Act 2010.

I recently purchased a new laptop which is running windows 7. I read from the blogs that 2008 is not compatible so I purchased ACT 2010 and now want to transfer the database to the new machine. Please advise how I get the data base transferred to the new machine

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dsp8
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Changing from Act 2008 to Act 2010

Luckily, it's pretty simple and straightforward:

1. On your older computer, with your database open, do a File, Backup, and backup your database with attachments.  When it asks where to save it, choose an easy place to find, like your desktop.  Don't put a password on the backup file,  It will create a file with the .zip extension, but it's not really a normal zip file - don't try to open it with winzip or windows zip.

2. Using a flash drive, copy the .zip file from your desktop to the flash drive and then move the flash drive to your new laptop to transfer it to your new laptop.

3. On the new laptop, from within ACT!, do a File, Restore, Restore As, and browse to your desktop and point to the .zip file, Tell the restore where you want to restore it to, or accept the suggested location, enter you user name, and your password if you have one.  ACT! will restore it, open it and ask you to log in.

That should pretty much cover it.

Kevin Chieff

Soft Skills, Inc.

Rumson, NJ USA

Signature

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author dsp8
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Luckily, it's pretty simple and straightforward:

1. On your older computer, with your database open, do a File, Backup, and backup your database with attachments.  When it asks where to save it, choose an easy place to find, like your desktop.  Don't put a password on the backup file,  It will create a file with the .zip extension, but it's not really a normal zip file - don't try to open it with winzip or windows zip.

2. Using a flash drive, copy the .zip file from your desktop to the flash drive and then move the flash drive to your new laptop to transfer it to your new laptop.

3. On the new laptop, from within ACT!, do a File, Restore, Restore As, and browse to your desktop and point to the .zip file, Tell the restore where you want to restore it to, or accept the suggested location, enter you user name, and your password if you have one.  ACT! will restore it, open it and ask you to log in.

That should pretty much cover it.

Kevin Chieff

Soft Skills, Inc.

Rumson, NJ USA

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thanks Kevin and Mike for your responses, that worked
Message Edited by dsp8 on 01-31-2010 09:16 PM