Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changing ACT9 sync role

Changing ACT9 sync role

I have a  laptop loaded up with a database created by importing a backup from our main server database. I would now like it to act as a subscriber so I can sync it wiith the main db. Can't find any way to do this. Help/About shows the "Sync Role" field blank. I guess that if I had created a remote db from this PC it would show it as a "Publisher"

The reason I am not just loading it with a remote db created on the main machine is that, althouigh a couple of months ago I succesfully created a remote database, every attempt now to created a new one fails with :-

"failed to create remote database "<database name>"  Stream does not support writing. Please contact the administrator for more help. Would you like to create another remote database?

Tried various log-ons, tried creating in both the default and other locations

I am in a catch22, cannot sync the laptop, cannot create a remote database. A fix to either problem would get me out of trouble. Have searched the KB and this forum without success.

Version is "ACT! by Sage 2007 (9.0) Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 3"
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Changing ACT9 sync role

This is a damaged database - run a save copy as and try the copy, this should hopefully resolve your problem.

Tom

Thanks Tom but no luck, saved a copy, logged in and it checked the db. Enabled synchronisation and then "create remote database"
It ran for a few minutes and then failed with the same error message.

The only change made since the original successful creation was to instal Hotfix 3 on all PC's
Nickel Super Contributor

Hmm... thats always fixed it for me, try clicking start run -> actdiag -> ok.  In actdiag on the left click databases -> database list.  Right click on the db and work through the following:

Check DB
Repair DB
Reindex DB

Under DB Rebilds:
Rebuild Schema
Rebuild Security
Rebuild Sync Objects

Thanks, tried all that but no luck. Now trying to create an empty database and importing the data from the old, having some problems but working our way through them. I will report progress!
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did you ever get this to work. I haven't found your report on the progress. I am having a similar issue, and can't make a remote database to use on a laptop. Any insight on this error we have would be greatly appreciated. ACT's knowledge base articles don't mention anything about this error that I could search and find.

I tried all the above suggested solutions, and none of them cured the issue of the "Failed to create remote <name of remote db>. Stream does not support writing." 

Any input appreciated

ACT DB: On SBS 2003 R2 server, ACT9, all updates applied to software and database.

Thanks.

Message Edited by haslamjd on 07-11-2008 08:10 AM