Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changes in the PC clock cause events on the calendar to change dates and times

Changes in the PC clock cause events on the calendar to change dates and times

In the older versions of ACT, appointments on the calendar did not change when the clock on the PC was reset.  For example, an appointment made for a meeting in any city at 15:00 on a Monday, remained at 15:00 on that Monday even though the clock on the PC would be reset to the local time in that city. In the new versions of ACT, including Ver 10, the appointment is automatically shifted according to the new clock setting.  This error (Sage calls it a feature) makes the calendar useless.   

My business requires that I cross multiple times zones every week and in order to correctly date spread sheets, emails , letters and general documents, I need to change the date and time on my PC clock regularly.

Is there a solution or is this "feature" here to stay?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Jon
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Changes in the PC clock cause events on the calendar to change dates and times

The database times are set using the regional settings on your computer - this is so if you schedule a meeting at 3pm uk someone using the same db in america will be at the meeting at the same time as you regardless of time differences.

Tom

Re: Changes in the PC clock cause events on the calendar to change dates and times

Tom:

I understand that concept.  However, this is a single user database.  No one else has access to or shares that calendar.

Jon
Nickel Super Contributor

Unfortunately ACT! is built on what the mahjority of people would need so functionality is built around the masses rather than the individual the same as any mass used piece of software.  it would be unfesable for Sage to build ACT! for individual requirements.

Tom

I understand the sofware for the masses concept and have no probloem with that.What I am trying to understand is how I can make this work.

As I understand your example, once the person in the UK sets the meeting for 15:00 on Monday I will see that as being at 15:00 on that Monday as well on my PC running in Oregon. Now, what happens to that event when I move to the UK and reset the clock on my PC to UK  time? 

In short, is there a way for me to share a data abse with myself such that it will be clock independent?

Jon
Nickel Super Contributor

To be honest I'm not sure of an easy way round this - I guess one thing you could try is to set your computer to UK region when you sync that would pull in the stuff as UK times and then set your region back again.  Not sure if this would help but its worth a try.

Tom

Tom:

I looked into that route once before and while it was promising, the probem was that I deal with the majority of time zones in the world.  Hence I would have to constantly change the clock just to update the calendar.

Too bad the function can't be a choice in the Settings menu. I can't be the only lone wolf running an international operation or crossing multiple time zones on a regular basis to run a personal business. Some times the old ways were better.

Thanks.

Jon
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! for Web has the ability to change the regional TZ setting when you travel.

You might suggest they add this function to the full product at http://www.act.com/community/feature/index.cfm

Another suggestion is to set the activities at the local time that you intend to complete them?

Thanks, I'll try those and make the recommedation.

The best  answer is of course for ACT to set it as a selectable default.

Jon

I completely agree that this is a big problem.  I frequently travel back and forth across 1 time zone.  The calendar function gets all messed up when you sync with Outlook.  This is definitely something Sage needs to solve right away.  Other programs work flawlessly when changing time zones.  Why can't Act?  I'm running Premium 2013 Version 15.0.301.0