Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changes in database revert to original errors - advice please :-)

Changes in database revert to original errors - advice please :-)

OK - I have been creating and sending remote databases to the main computer with no problem. However, the latest (and final version of the master database - of COURSE it happens now, Murphy is alive and well ;-D) has needed changes and additions - and they all revert back to what they were. I had this problem very recently, and thought that by making changes in Contact View, they were preserved. I THINK they were, but there weren't very many of them. So, two questions: 1. If a Backup is created at the main computer after corrections are made, and the Backup is restored, will that save the changes? 2. In Contact View, there is a File/Save action on the toolbar. Will this save changes to just the one contact? 3. (Okay, I lied about 'two questions') Is there a way to Save All regarding changes to the DB, or is Backup the only way to do it. I've heard something about ACT having Autosave, but can find no reference to it. THANK YOU!
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Changes in database revert to original errors - advice please :-)

1.  The changes will be timestamped so they should sync in if thats what you mean...
2. This commits the current changes to the db - ie if you are working on a contact the info is only in the text box until you move records or do something to prompt a save at which point it writes the data in the fields to the database.
3. ACT! doesn't have an autosave - information is written to the db in realtime as you work on or move through the database.

HTH

Tom

Hi, Tom - thanks for your answer. I just need a bit of clarification. I don't think the sync is the problem. I experimented at the home computer here with opening a database in Contact Detail View, and using File/Save Copy As. I changed the name, and saved it. When I opened the copy, it had the same number of contacts and everything. Is it safe to assume that any changes made would be saved in that copy as well? It obviously wasn't saving the information as we worked thru the database...but since it was restored from a remote, maybe the ACT program there didn't "own" it, and did not save changes. What are your thoughts on the above? And anyone else is welcome to chime in. Thank you!
Nickel Super Contributor

If you do a save copy as its exactly that - a copy of the database and everything in it.  Any changes made beofre the asave copy would follow down into the copy.

Tom

Thank you very much! :-)