02-12-2013 09:21 AM
I know this is sinple as it's happened before and I've fixed it, but I'm trying to get out the door for a meeting and in my agitated state, I can't find the answer.
ACT 2010 on my primary computer (Win 7 Pro 64-bit) that syncronized with my laption (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit). My server WAS running Microsoft WHS 2011 but I replaced that (won't be supported by Microsft for much longer and I was disapointed with some of its restore functions) with ubuntu 12.10 Server and Samba. That was the first time ACT hiccupped, having to do with a server change. Really?
Moving forward, I have replaced Linux with Win 8 Pro 64-bit as certain aspects of it make an OK server OS for my home office.
Again, ACT 2010 won't read/find my database. My laptop can access its copy.
I remember having to turn off SQL temporarily and I usually/always keep repair notes, but can't locate them this time.
Does any of this sound familiar?
Many thanks! I'm sure I will be calmer upon my return. :-)
02-13-2013 08:33 AM
If the message indicates that it "cannot access the database, check firewall, etc...", it is most likely due to the change of the operating system changing the the path or computer name. You can resolve this by deleting the PAD file associated with the database, then opening the database using the ADF file.
02-22-2013 03:53 PM
I'm back trying to work through this, but opening the .adf file gives me the 'ACT will now verify your database' and then it says that database name is already taken, pick another one. Wow.
This is me venting, and apropos of nithing, ACT is just way too fussy for me these days. I know in the right environment, it is a great program. I really get tired of having to go through this every time my server hiccups. None of this any anyone's fault but mine, but I think I picked the wrong program.
I wrote my order entry, inventory and invoicing system years ago in a relational database but, not wanting to reinvent the wheel for simple mailouts, etc. for my component business, I use ACT.
Anyway, no one cares about that and I'm off my soapbox. So, any final words on how to recover this database?
02-23-2013 06:29 PM
For what's it's worth, I fixed it after all that whining. The last time this happened, it had to do with SQL services but until this afternoon, I couldn't remember exactly what.
I turned off SQL services for ACT 7 in services.msc and tried to access my database. Of course, it said, SQL services weren't running. I turned it back on and tried the database again.
It came up quickly and I was able to syncronize with my laptop over my network, just as before.
So, whether that was an approved procedure or was meant to solve the problem, it did, in my case.
Many thanks. Apologies for the kvetching.
02-25-2013 07:45 AM
My frustration level is pretty high on a variety of fronts these days; sorry to have transferred some of it to the forum. (I'm better today!)
Again, many thanks!