Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Changed computers

Changed computers

I have Act 2008 and initially registered it on my personal Dell computer. My company has provided me with an IBM thinkpad and I want to move ACT to it. How?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Changed computers

Install ACT! on the new system

Then move the database as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5dlnzt

Or you can even keep ACT! on both and sync them as per http://tinyurl.com/5gc2cu

OK, brand mew issue....

got rid of IBM laptop and moved to Dell Inspirion but with Windows 7. How do I move all data from IBM laptop with Windows XP to Dell with Windows 7? I know have ACT 2010 to accomodate new Windows OS. I also have an "easy transfer" cable. Please fill in the blanks for me.

Ed 

Platinum Super Contributor

The steps will be the same on this move:

- on old computer > open database > go to File > Backup > Database... create backup of database

- copy database backup file (*.zip) to the new computer

- on new computer > open Act! > go to File > Restore > Database > select Restore As option... enter the name for the database and the user/password

For detailed instructions, review this article: How to Backup and Restore an Act! database

Greg Martin
Sage

It keeps asking for a user name and password. Since I am the only one on this computer I did not set one. How can I get around that?

That's not the issue. The user name is fine but since I did not set a password I click thru that and am still denied acces because "username and password do not match". Very annoying. I even downloaded the zip file a second time from the disc....no luck
Platinum Super Contributor

If the original computer is still available, you can check your username by opening the database on that machine > go to Tools > Manage Users > look at the 'User Name' column.  Many times the username is different than the name entered as the Contact name on your 'My Record'.

Greg Martin
Sage

........ and if that original computer is not available because I backed up to a disc? Laptop belonged to former employer Smiley Sad

eprybylski wrote:
That's not the issue. The user name is fine but since I did not set a password I click thru that and am still denied acces because "username and password do not match". Very annoying. I even downloaded the zip file a second time from the disc....no luck

If you didn't use a password, then it's like just blank.... but you still need the user name to be correct