Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change in design layout has very limiting consequesnces

Change in design layout has very limiting consequesnces

I have been using ACT for many months now (stared with version 9 and now have current 11). I created a design layout for our contacts based on need. I made wholesale changes in filed names and locations in the design. In some cases I did away with the defaults and created new one... (i.e. salutation, home address, personal email etc) and in some cases I forced a fit. At the time I had no idea that the fields were linked to forms and maps so that the default fields had links within the overall application. Now we have all sorts of data in fields that don’t show up when we use certain features within ACT. (maps for instance only have the default zip code to go by....all the other fields were scrapped for names that better met our needs for designation) so now when we try to open a map it goes tot he center of that zip code. Can we (and if we can how) “re-point” those fields so that they will function in their original intended capacities? We don’t want to have to go back and recreate the original design layout with the original fields and move all that data into the original fields. This is the first time I have used this forum so I am sure I have done some things wrong. Please correct me and I will learn. Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Change in design layout has very limiting consequesnces

You're not going to like my answer. First, you can't make your database behave as a properly designed ACT! database. Most of the links you're referring to are built into the program and can't be changed. No matter how difficult it may seem, the best is to start with the default database design and add custom fields as needed but be vary cautious about changing the function of any of the default field. The import you present database into the new design, mapping the fields in your database to the appropriate fields in the new database.

Finally consider engaging the services of an ACT! Certified Consultant to help resolve you problem. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Change in design layout has very limiting consequesnces

I was afraid of that but expected as much (Hence the delay in actually getting around to asking the question).  The wife and I are missionaries and were looking for a database app that could be customized to meet our needs for capturing everything related to our ministry partners and friends. We know that you are right and we really should engage "the services of an ACT! Certified Consultant", but right now we will have to muddle through on our own. As per usual.... the very best way to learn is by doing it wrong the first time....albeit painful, it is memorable. Thanks for your help and God bless.