Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Change an existing set of Custom Fields and Synchronize the data?

Change an existing set of Custom Fields and Synchronize the data?

We have a small ACT!9 dataset we use. The original set up, performed by someone who did know what they were doing. included some custom fields that we want to get rid of and is missing several fields we need to add. My question is when I develop the new fields for the database (including dropping a few and adding many more) can I then synchronize the "new" data base to the old data? It is not really a new database, I am planing on making the changes to a copy of the existing database...there are other things I need to do besides add fields, things like build a few dynamic groups and reports that everyone will need access to. Will the synchronize procedure just ignore the fields that are no longer present and drop the data (which is fine) when I ask it to sync wit the new version? OR Do I need to make the changes in the data base, and while am in administrative mode take the database down so that no one can make changes to the records? I am planing on making the changes to a copy of the database and then replacing the existing database with the copy and want to make sure there is no loss of concurrent activity. Thanks for your help and input!
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Change an existing set of Custom Fields and Synchronize the data?

Changes to the schema can go through, but this can depend on the Security level of the remote users

If you make the changes in a copy and replace the copy, you'll need to recreate the sync users' databases as they won't recognise the database.