Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cant sync with ACT 2009

Cant sync with ACT 2009

After three days of installing ACT 9 on my PC and Laptop, I am now trying to sync the two. I went thru the entire set up, but when I go to TOOLS and SYNCRONIZE the "SYNC NOW" tab is greyed out. Any ideas? I'm runnig ACT as the Administrator and have Windows 7 on both machines. ACT 2009 ver 11

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cant sync with ACT 2009

This may seem like a basic question, but just to confirm, you are attempting to sync from the remote? Sync cannot be initiated from the main database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have my main database on my desktop. I would like to be able to have the same information on both that machine and my laptop which i also have act on. I just want them to have exactly the same information. So, do I do nothing on the desktop and just set up a sync set on my laptop only?

Thank you

Do you mean you have databases that haven't sync'd on both?

Sync needs the remote database to be created from the Publisher

I wish I knew what you meant. SO far nothing has synced, the tab to send a sync is greyed out, couldnt if I wanted to. I just want a way for my desktop and laptop to have all the same info in ACT.

[ Edited ]

To clarify, here is the proper order of things:
- On the main (Publisher) database, create the remote database (.RBD file)
- On the remote machine (in your case the laptop), copy the .RBD file to that machine, then restore it. This will be your remote database. So you now have the main database on your PC and a remote database on your laptop.
- Sync is always done from the remote, so on the laptop go to Tools > Synchronize > Synchronize Now. This option will not be available from the main database.

Note that you can only sync a remote database that was created on a main database. Two separately created databases cannot sync with each other. To verify the sync status of the database, go to Help > About ACT! > Database Information button. Scroll to the bottom of the Database Settings Information box and check values for "Sync Enabled" and "Sync Role".

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks a million! It worked when I followed your directions. One last question (I hope), when I sent the sync I did not see the added contacts, I had to close ACT and restart and they all appearted. Is there a way to not have to restart ACT to see the additonal contacts delivered by the Sync.

I really appreciate the help. I would be in deep crap without it.

Thanks!!

Marc

[ Edited ]

Thanks, worked perfect! Have a great day Mate!