Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cant create remote database

Cant create remote database

Hi, hope someone can help me with this one!

I'm running Act 2008 and I'm attempting to create a remote database so that myself and a colleague can sync with it.  However, whenever I try to create the remote database, I go through the whole process (I've created a sync set, etc) and am eventually met with the error message:

"Failed to create remote database <database name> . Publisher datastore is corrupted Please contact the administrator for more help.  Would you like to create another remote database?"

I've tried 'check and repair' from the tools menu but to no avail.

Also, when logging into my database after opening ACT, I'm met with the error message:

"Error occured after logon in synchronisation manager: The path is not of a legal form."

Are the two related?

Any ideas?

Re: Cant create remote database

Any ideas with this problem?  I'm loathed to spend money on Sage's support for just one issue...

Any help at all will be greatfully received...

try to run "actdiag" in windows>run. select your database, right click and do check, repair,reindex. in the database rebuild option do all the options listed over there. also check the demo database to see if you get the same error. regards zeezar
Have a Nice Day!
zeezar

Thanks for your input ZeeZar - that sorted it! Just got to get my head around this synchronise business now.

Can anyone summarise it for me briefly?  Here's our set up.  We are running a domain at our office with a single, Windows 2003 server. Two of us (both using laptops) require access to the same ACT database so that when we're out on the road, our activities and history can be sync'd once plugged back into the network.

So, when creating the RDB file, what do I put as the machine hosting the sync server?  Should that be my laptop name (which the database is currently residing on) or should it be our 2003 server's name? 

Once this database is created, what do I do with the RDB file? 

I understand there are guides for this, but if anyone could sum it up briefly in a post on here that would be much apprecaited.  I'm technically minded, too, which always helps Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

glad to know it worked. let me summarize it for you. 1. Goto Sync panel in Main Database 2. Enable Sync and create Syncset 3. Create Remote Database,selecting the syncset. 4. enter the 2003 server's name in "machine hosting the sync server" 5. when RDB is created, make another one for your second laptop. 6. move the RDBs to their respective laptops 7. open act>choose restore database>choose unpack and restore remote database. 8. give the path of the RDB's location & restore. 9. After restore, click open database and select the database that has been unpacked. 10. On the main database in the server checkmark "Accept Incoming Sync" in tool>synchronize. on laptop, click "Sync now" in tools>synchronize
Have a Nice Day!
zeezar
Platinum Elite Contributor

Withnail wrote:
Thanks for your input ZeeZar - that sorted it! Just got to get my head around this synchronise business now.

Can anyone summarise it for me briefly?  Here's our set up.  We are running a domain at our office with a single, Windows 2003 server. Two of us (both using laptops) require access to the same ACT database so that when we're out on the road, our activities and history can be sync'd once plugged back into the network.

This Knowledge Base article might help - http://tinyurl.com/ynqpeu

Thanks chaps, that's helpful.  One last question though, and I cant seem to get my head round this regardless of which instructions I read.

Does this mean ACT must be installed on the server and left running all the time?  Zeezar, you say "10. On the main database in the server checkmark "Accept Incoming Sync" in tool>synchronize".

We only have two licenses, is this going to be a problem?  We dont have ACT premium either - not sure if this has a bearing on anything.

Let me clear your doubts. you have to install the Act program on the server with the database hosted on it. the database should be running when you do the sync., from the laptop. And regarding the licenses, two licenses refers to 2 users. so you can use the serial no. on 2 laptops and 1 server. but at any point of time only 2 users can login to the database. for example, if you want to do a sync, open database on the server with your login details. then open the database on your laptop with the same login details. you'll be able to login.
Have a Nice Day!
zeezar

Thanks for all your help Zeezar, I'll have a play with it.