Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot view contacts or notes

Cannot view contacts or notes

Hello,

I recently purchased and installed ACT2009 (actually, purchased a few months ago) on my computer.  I used ACT for work years ago, an older version, I think it was 2001 or 2002.  I got away from ACT for a while, when my hard drive on my old PC crashed about 3 years ago and I lost everything.  We're a small company, so using the software is not required, but I liked using it.  Now, I'm ready to begin using ACT again.  I asked our main office to send me all of my old ACT files via e-mail (we used to do a monthly Sync, and they still had all of my old ACT files.)  I merged them into my new ACT, and everything worked fine, except that I cannot view old notes (not as important) or see any contact names (much more important.)  Everything else (company name, address, phone number, etc. is there - for whatever reason the contact people are missing.  Can anyone help me figure out why?  Thanks in advance.

Andy      

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot view contacts or notes

Hello Andy,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. For clarification, are saying that in your records, the field for the Contact Name is empty, but the rest of the data shows up? In regards to Notes, starting with ACT! 2005, the Notes and History are in separate tabs. Do you see you notes under the Notes tab?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hi Greig,

I was not completely accurate in what I said, after viewing a few companies again.  Information that can be seen is - Company name, title, department, salutation (so I can see first names, but not last!), phone, city, state, zip.  What I cannot see is contact person name, and address (I had said that I could see addresses.)  I can live without the address, I can get that simply by calling the company.  But, I really need the contact names - first and last name.  That is the empty box that is the big problem.  Regarding notes, there are no notes under the tabs, they are also missing.  Having the notes would be very helpful, but again it is really the contact people names I need.  Thanks for your reply and help.

Andy    

It may be that the data is there, but the field is incorrect. Try this:

- Go to Tools > Design Layouts > Contact. This will open the Layout designer.

- Look on the layout at the field (white box) where the contact name is supposed to be. If the field box is empty or contains anything other than "Contact", then double-click on the box. This will open the field list...assign the field "Contact". You can also do this check with your address fields or any other fields that currently show no data.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I gave your suggestion a try, and when I checked the design layout, the contact box does already say contact.  This all seems really strange, that some data transferred fine and some did not.  Thanks again for the help - do you have any other suggestions?  

Try the deleting the Contact field from the layout, then re-add it.

Greig Hollister