05-13-2016 12:09 AM
I am in the process of evaluating ACT! V18 Pro. We have used ACT! v6 for years.. decades, even, upgrading from the previous version a long time ago.
My first step was to try to update out own Database. Quite heavily customised, 7,500 contacts or thereabouts. It didn't work. I got the dreaded "pre7actdb.adb" error.
Reading up on this error, I read about whole bunch of possible solutions. So I thought "Maybe it is because my customisations are too complicated" so I decided to try to convert the "untouched" default Act6Demo database. Hello, Chris Huffman ... long time no see.
I did all the right things. The test DB is local - not on a network. I saved it via "Create a Copy".
I ran the actdiag.exe file and got a clean sweep of green ticks, after re-indexing the database.
Still no go.
I'm using Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.
What on earth could be the matter? I can't even convert the simple demo database, let alone attempting to convert my own one.
I hope someone can assist me! I'd really like to get started using ACT! 18.
05-13-2016 03:59 AM
05-14-2016 09:00 PM
05-15-2016 10:43 PM
Thanks for the reply, Gary. I tried to call about this from Australia.
However, due to a mandatory public holiday in India, I am not able to get technical support in Australia today, according to the answering machine message.
I will call India again tomorrow to see if the customer support team can assist me further.
05-15-2016 10:53 PM
05-17-2016 08:18 PM
I decided to give the conversion attempt one more try. Frankly, I was a bit uncomfortable sharing my database with others, and the idea I have to deal with an Indian-based support centre made me more wary. All unjustified perhaps, not like I have such super-secret contact information but still.....
So in the interest of sharing/contributing to the community, I have the following suggestion for others attempting this same transition, although how many users are still using ACT! 6? Cannot possibly be THAT many by now, surely.
There was an interim step needed for the database conversion, I had to FIRST convert the database using ACT! v12, THEN convert the resulting database to ACT! v18.
I located the trial version of V12 here:
There was a bit of initial hassle, as I had to first uninstall ACT! 18 as well as uninstalling the SQL server. However, after this the conversion went fine, as did converting over the custom layout (with some minor work still to be done)
The next step is to convert over a few more custom fields and tweaking the layout further. The following resources might help others with this same query:
I have yet to finalise the conversion properly. I will have to repeat the procedure after reading the 2 guides above so I can properly map over all of my custom fields somehow.