Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot unpack and restore remote database

Copper Contributor

Cannot unpack and restore remote database

Hello, I created a RDB and i copy it to a laptop trying to restore it. I get the following message: Database and datastore files were not successfully extracted from zip file. Illegal characters in path.

I tried various name combinations, and various DB locations but it doesn't work. I do exactly the same steps as several times in the past, but it dosn't work now!

Any idea about the problem?

Thanks

Re: Cannot unpack and restore remote database

antonis,

Create a new folder called actdata at the root of your C drive.  Then move the RDB to that folder and  restore it to the same location.

Copper Contributor

It doesn't work. I still get the same msg. I mention that it happens at 2 different pc's recently formated, fully updated! Also, the unpacking proccess starts and the regular db folders are created at the usual location (C:\Documents and Settings\Ant Zan\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 9\Databases\AzaToshiba-database files )

Now, it's getting serious Smiley Sad

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are unable restore a remote on multiple machines, then this may also indicate that a file within the database files folder has an illegal character in the name.  This could be in the Attachments folder or one of the other supplemental file folders.  An easy way to find out, is to create a remote database and choose the option not to sync attachments and see if you can restore that .rdb on one of the machines that failed with the prior .rdb.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

That works! Thank you so much!!!

Do you think it's some Greek characters in the filename of the attachements tha causes the problem?

Copper Contributor

I spent a lot of time to rename all attachments in my db. I checked every single file name and everything is in Enlish characters. I also changed the subjects and tittles to doc, xls, pdf, etc.

But I still cannot restore a rdb...

Any other tips?

Thank you

moi
Copper Contributor

Hi There,

Any success with it ?  I have same problem here now, done a lot of times (make remote database) but now it just stops. I get error

Illegal characters In path if I try to unpack and restore.

Normal Backup from old PC  is not working to, because than the synch, is not available on the new PC. So I guess I have to make a new remote database for it. But that gives me the error.

The idea to check all att. in main act database on strange characters is just  not possible, 6000 contacts with history of 4 years and lot of files.

Any other solution to get this working again ? Or how do I greater a remote database without att.

I am using ACT 2008 ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199 on a apple MacPro with VMware Fushion that Is brand new, (could this be the problem)

Hope somebody can help me out with this.

Many thanks In advance

Marcel