This started a few days ago - now experiencing the same problem on 2 computers.
My Pocket PC mobile device will sync and transfer files, etc. However I get an error that Sync for Act! Contacts and Act! Calendar failed. Error code is blank, simply notice that sync failed.
I have 2 systems - one running XP that I've been using Act! and an Ipaq for 4-5 years (Act! 2005 currently installed). The other is a fresh install of Vista Premium and Act! 2008 with a new AT&T Smartphone running Windows Mobile 6 - this system was just reloaded and does not have Antivirus or Firewall software installed yet to avoid any conflicts there.
Both are experiencing the exact same issue. I've reset the sync set, uninstalled/reinstalled Activesync/Mobile computing center and Act! Link for Pocket PC. I've reindexed the database and even created a new one to test and make sure it is not a database corruption - no joy.
I tried the information in the Knowledgbase article referenced - no change.
As far as the recommendation to use handheld contact - all I need to do is sync Act! to my pocket PC at the office. I have no need for mobile sync. I am opposed to paying $25.00 a month for a service that I don't need. Act! is marketed on the ability to sync to mobile devices, I simply want the functionality I paid for...
I am having the same issue as well. For the first time since v1.0 called tech support. They gave me the same registry fix. It did not solve the problem -- Tech Support said to purchase CompanionLink to sync my ACT! data. I did. They are not compatible with Windows Mobile 6.0, although they believe it should work. After more hours that I care to think about ($$$), CompanionLink thought they had come up with a work around -- syncing and then resyncing each time. This process takes over 10 hours.
In the end, the feature that I had expected from ACT! to sync my data is a grave disappointment. CompanionLink's solution is premature and sadly, a loss of not only literal $$, but time $$.
The resolve? I utilize ACT! 2008 for my master database and schedule. I have imported my contacts into Outlook and I duplicate my calendar efforts in Outlook, which auto syncs with the Google calendar feature for web access. This is a ripe opportunity for missing an appointment or not having updated contact information.
Needless to say, this is not the mode of business I choose to operate under. I had no problems prior to the ACT! 2008 version!!!! Because of a laptop and phone upgrade, ACT! told me I must also upgrade my version of ACT! to 2008.
My hope is that ACT! has enough revenue in their coffers to rectify this issue. At the very least, there must be a savvy user who has figured out the solution.
All suggestions are welcome -- the Apple platform is beginning to look very attractive!