Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot restore or Open my database

Cannot restore or Open my database

I have ACT 2008 v10

2 days ago i was using my 700 record contact file with no problem. Then all of the sudden it could not be found. I have multiple places where either "zipped backups" or the actual pad, alf, and adf files are (even though they were saved at different times.) The different places date back to a time when i did not understand drives, folders, etc., and being consistent.

I went thru a total XP reinstall on this Dell desktop a few months ago and after reloading my user files, was not sure if the ACT file that was working days ago was the most recent.

i did a search on my three drives (c: partition, d: partition, as well as my external hard drive f:. I began copying all of the various saves (zipped and regular) into one location, with subfolders for each group.

I notice that one of the zipped files has a 154,000 kb size noted. But I accidently deleted it using SHIFT + DELETE. I downloaded a pctools.com recovery utility. But when i recovered (to my external hard drive) what seemed to be the needed file, after recovery it showed up as Act! Contacts.zip.frd (15,382kb) plus 2 files named ACT! 001.frd, and ACT! 004.frd. These also showed 15,382.

I opened Act and it would not restore the ACT! Contacts.zip.frd, so i removed the .frd and it still would not work

PLEASE HELP

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot restore or Open my database

If you downloaded and installed a software product like PC Tools after deleting the file, it's likely that it will have overwritten the file itself.

If you can't find the ALF/ADF files, you may have lost your database.... and doing ANYHTING on the machine can make it less likely that it can be recovered.

I suggest you have a PC expert have a look at the PC