Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot reinstall Act

Cannot reinstall Act

In order to free space on my laptop I compressed the C drive. I use my computer at the office and the laptop at home. I could not restore the office database to the home laptop computer. I have attempted to reinstall Sage Act Pro 2012 on the home laptop.

I get an error message that "Sage Act cannot be installed on a compressed folder. Please choose a different folder that is not compressed."

Is there a way to reinstall the program?

Do I need a new laptop?

I am running Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite with 6GB of ram and a 500gb HDD.

Any help is appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Cannot reinstall Act

ACT! uses the Microsoft SQL database engine, which can't be installed in a compressed folder (it slows down databases)

You need to make sure the folders with all the ACT! program files, MS SQL files and the databases are not compressed.

I appreciate very much your response. I don't have a clue how to decompress and am technically challenged.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try the Compressed Files section in this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640#s7

Or maybe this:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25051

Be careful with these ... the actual folders will differ according to the version of ACT! and the operating system. It might be best for you to get some help making sure you do the right changes.

At very least, I'd do a backup of the computer first

I am having this same issue. I am reinstalling ACT 2011 on my Windows 7 computer where I had compressed files.  I have decompressed anything and everything that includes ACT or SQL files and am still getting the error that it cannot install in a compressed folder. I am at my wits end as I have used ACT for more than 10 years and typically have to do my own IT.