Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Cannot reinstall ACT 2010 from DVD

Cannot reinstall ACT 2010 from DVD

My O.S. is Windows 7 Premium.

I have ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

This morning my full version of ACT 2010 suddenly became very flakey.  Though I was able to write a letter no matter what I tried to do, I was unable to print it.  Nor could I Save As or simply Save.  I was unable to insert a page break and doubtless other functions were dead too.  I tried HELP only to see that the System could not find the file.

So I tried to reinstall from my ACT 2010 V 12 DVD.  That told me that I already had a later version installed stopping the process there.  So how do I proceed?  I suppose I could try to remove the software first but Sage do not furnish an Uninstall link in their startup menu.

Silver Contributor

Re: Cannot reinstall ACT 2010 from DVD

I don't think unstialling would necessarily fix the problem. However, you can uninstall from Windows Control Panel.

Before you do this. can you share some details of what you have tried?  Are you using Word?  What version? Can you write a letter at all? Write menu, letter. What fails and when?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Word processor problems

It is becoming clear that this is an ACT internal word processor problem.  Ever since leaving ACT 2005 behind and buying ACT 2009, I have had problems with ACT wp dropping out mostly in the first few lines of a new letter but recently, also whilst inputting the fields of a new contact.  The cursor simply disappears and my typed input goes with it.  As I had only bought 2009 weeks earlier and had this glitch ever since,  in October 2009 SAGE very kindly issued a copy of the present version which at first did seem to have cured that earlier wp problem.  It is again plaguing me though.

Turning now to my current symptoms, I have pretty well determined that they are only affecting the new letter I created yesterday.  The "Insert" menu has everything but Image and Hyperlink greyed out.  If on the other hand I open a letter written in the past, they are all there!  Insert Page Break included.  This leaves me wondering if there is an options/preferences toggle that I have inadvertently flicked but not one that I can figure out.

I do not have Microsoft Office with its Word component and though I do have the version of Word incorporated within Windows 7, That I think is unavailable to ACT.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Word processor problems

Hello buzzibbee,

This may be caused by user account security in Windows 7. Try lowering the settings for or disabling User Account Control (UAC) then rebooting. Instructions are in KB Article 25665.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Word processor problems

Hello Greig,
Disabled UAC but after reboot there is no change. When the offending letter (.wpa) file opened there is still an Insert Menu with everything greyed out but image and Hyperlink. Opening the Help menu still gives "The system cannot find the file specified". I can get around that as I have copied the help files from the DVD to a location on one of my partitions. We are no further forward with the wp bug though.